Main Plot Points:
- Director Antoine Fuqua brings his modern vision to a classic story in Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures’ and Columbia Pictures’ The Magnificent Seven.
- With the town of Rose Creek under the deadly control of industrialist Bartholomew Bogue (Peter Sarsgaard), the desperate townspeople employ protection from seven outlaws, bounty hunters, gamblers and hired guns – Sam Chisolm (Denzel Washington), Josh Farraday (Chris Pratt), Goodnight Robicheaux (Ethan Hawke), Jack Horne (Vincent D’Onofrio), Billy Rocks (Byung-Hun Lee), Vasquez (Manuel Garcia-Rulfo), and Red Harvest (Martin Sensmeier).
- As they prepare the town for the violent showdown that they know is coming, these seven mercenaries find themselves fighting for more than money.
What We Thought:
- I was pretty excited when I first saw the trailer for The Magnificent Seven. It looked like a really fun ensemble piece that also happened to be a western. I was, however, a bit concerned by the fact that it was directed by Antoine Fuqua, who I fell can be a bit heavy handed as a director and also can be a bit hit or miss.
- Luckily, I enjoyed the film quite a bit. It’s not perfect, but it is a lot of fun. The characters are about as well-crafted as a house of cards. They’ve each got one or two traits that identify the, but only Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt and Ethan Hawke get any real character development.
- Still, this is an action film, so that’s forgivable. The action scenes are very strong, and the charisma that the lead actors bring tot he screen in the in-between moments really bridges the gaps in the action.
- The film also has some nice humorous moments. Some of the jokes are a bit on the nose or a bit too easy, but there are some good laughs to be found, and Chris Pratt brings a sly wink to the entire proceeding.
- I think the best thing about the tim is that you’ll like it whether you’re a fan of westerns or not. Yes, it is a western, but it has a very definite modern feel to it. That, coupled with the good stars, the strong action sequences, and the humor will make this enjoyable for most people.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Denzel Washington
- Chris Pratt
- Ethan Hawke
- Directed by Antoine Fuqua
Recommended if You Like:
- Ensemble films