Main Plot Points:
- In the 3D animated comedy, The Angry Birds Movie, we’ll finally find out why the birds are so angry.
- The movie takes us to an island populated entirely by happy, flightless birds – or almost entirely. In this paradise, Red (Jason Sudeikis, We’re the Millers, Horrible Bosses), a bird with a temper problem, speedy Chuck (Josh Gad in his first animated role since Frozen), and the volatile Bomb (Danny McBride, This is the End, Eastbound and Down) have always been outsiders.
- But when the island is visited by mysterious green piggies, it’s up to these unlikely outcasts to figure out what the pigs are up to.
What We Thought:
- When The Angry Birds Movie was announced a few years ago, a lot of people got in an uproar over it. A movie based on a phone game? Well, I argued then (and still do now) that there have been very successful movies based on less fully-developed properties (Pirates of the Caribbean, anyone?)
- The Angry Birds Movie is a fun little romp. It’s not a classic along the lines of a Shrek or Tangled, but it’s a good distraction for the kids and will keep parents reasonably entertained. The film’s writers and directors have done a good job of turning video game birds into fully realized characterized, and that’s one of the best aspects of the movie.
- The main issue with the film is that it’s just not as funny as it could be. The jokes aren’t terribly sharp, and while there are some knowing nods to the parents in the audience, I didn’t find myself laughing all that often.
- That said, while I don’t usually go for potty humor, the grossest joke in the movie is also — hands down — the funniest. I must have laughed out loud for well over a minute at one particular sequence that will become quite evident when you watch the film.
- Also, the last 20 minutes or so are spectacular. When the full on Angry Bird assault on the Pig kingdoms finally happens (and it takes a while to get there), it’s pretty awesome. The chaos and the visual wizardry on screen is extremely impressive, and it’s the most fun part of the film by a mile.
- All in all, The Angry Birds Movie is probably going to be a hit. Kids will like it, and it’s entertaining enough for adults not to feel like they’r ebbing forced to sit through an episode of Barney. I wish it had been a little funnier, but overall, I enjoyed myself more than I didn’t.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Jason Sudeikis
- Josh Gad
- Danny McBride
- Maya Rudolph
- Bill Hader
Recommended if You Like:
- The Angry Birds game
- The Rio movies