Main Plot Points:
- No other film inspires and entertains like the critically acclaimed Prefontaine, the uplifting, true-life story of one man’s formidable quest for Olympic gold! Cocky, charismatic and tough, Steve Prefontaine defied the rules, challenged the limits and smash records on his way to becoming one of the greatest distance runners in history.
- Though the road to victory was marked with injury, controversy and tragedy, this brash young track star captured the heart of the world with his unstoppable determination. A compelling film with a remarkable cast and captivating story, Prefontaine is a must-see motion picture event!
What We Thought:
- Prefontaine is one of two movies about runner Steve Prefontaine. Without Limits is the other.
- I think this is the better one. Billy Crudup is good in the other film, but I think Jared Leto captured Prefontaine’s essence better.
- What I like about the story is that it isn’t JUST your classic sports story. It is on one level, he was pursuing his dream of making it to the Munich Olympics. He helped change the face of track & field and with his looks became one of the faces of running.
- But his tragic death adds that extra level to the story. He’s one of the ultimate “What Ifs” stories. He held many US records, but could he have been the greatest male Olympian of all time?
- This film came out long before Leto was being nominated for awards and it gives you an early glimpse of his potential. He gives a really solid performance and you feel like you got to know Prefontaine through that performance.
- Prefontaine is classic sports movie storytelling with even more depth. Even if you have no idea who Steve Prefontaine was, how Oregon and Nike changed athletics, it’s still a solid drama at its core. If you like Leto and haven’t seen this, you should.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Jared Leto
- Ed O’Neill
- R. Lee Ermey
Recommended if You Like:
- Without Limits
- Chariots of Fire
- Jared Leto