Main Plot Points:
- Strap in. HARDCORE HENRY is one of the most unflinchingly original wild-rides to hit the big screen in a long time: You remember nothing. Mainly because you’ve just been brought back from the dead by your wife (Haley Bennett). She tells you that your name is Henry. Five minutes later, you are being shot at, your wife has been kidnapped, and you should probably go get her back. Who’s got her? His name’s Akan (Danila Kozlovsky); he’s a powerful warlord with an army of mercenaries, and a plan for world domination.
- You’re also in an unfamiliar city of Moscow, and everyone wants you dead. Everyone except for a mysterious British fellow called Jimmy (Sharlto Copley). He may be on your side, but you aren’t sure. If you can survive the insanity, and solve the mystery, you might just discover your purpose and the truth behind your identity. Good luck, Henry. You’re likely going to need it…
What We Thought:
- Hardcore Henry isn’t quite the crazy, balls to the wall action film I was expecting, but I still had a lot of fun with it.
- Don’t get me wrong, it’s pretty nuts, but it opens a bit slower than I expected and has way more of a story too.
- I’ve seen the YouTube videos that made these guys famous so I was expecting more of that. I actually didn’t expect a story or at least not one with the twists and turns that this has.
- But you’re seeing this film for the action and yeah it’s pretty out there. I’m not a huge fan of shaky cam/found footage type stuff, but overall this worked for me. The first person shooter style is very unique especially throughout an entire movie. You will see hundreds of films ripping this off soon especially if it makes money.
- That’s what the movie will be known for, it’s a game changer. There will be dozens of clones/copies of this film soon, but this will go down as the first. Just like how The Blair Witch Project unfortunately started the shaky cam/found footage genre. The editing, especially GoPro footage, is outstanding and will change what we see in the future.
- I know it may seem like I didn’t like Hardcore Henry, but that’s not true. I had a blast with it. The final big battle is pretty bananas and there’s a lot of awesome visuals. It mixes in music quite well and never tries to be more than what it is. I wanted something a bit more I guess, but it’s definitely something I recommend and would watch again.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Sharlto Copley
- Haley Bennett
Recommended if You Like:
- Action Movies
- Crazy Action
- GoPro Camera Action