Main Plot Points:
- Visionary director J.J. Abrams brings to life the motion picture event of a generation. As Kylo Ren and the sinister First Order rise from the ashes of the Empire, Luke Skywalker is missing when the galaxy needs him most. It’s up to Rey, a desert scavenger, and Finn, a defecting stormtrooper, to join with Han Solo and Chewbacca in a desperate search for the one hope of restoring peace to the galaxy.
What We Thought:
I saw Stars Wars: The Force Awakens in theaters and it was my favorite film of 2015. If you are a Star Wars fan, you saw it at the theater too (and maybe more than once). I already wrote about how I feel about the movie so this will be more about the actual Blu-ray release.
So just to restate what I said in a previous review, it is THE film we’ve been waiting for for 30 years. It felt like the original trilogy. It has characters from the original trilogy mixed in with new characters who feel like they could have been in the original trilogy. It’s the best Star Wars film since the 1980s. PERIOD.
As for the Blu-ray, it’s pretty amazing. If you didn’t see it at the theater, shame on you, I mean, see it in full HD. It was meant to be seen in high definition. The special effects look amazing. The costuming and wardrobe look amazing. The backdrops look amazing. That’s the thing about Star Wars, there’s always multiple locations and HD makes them all pop.
It even sounds amazing. Whether it’s a blaster sound effect, the swoop of a lightsaber, the take off of a space ship, the Blu-ray has perfect sound quality. This is why you go Blu-ray on a film like this. I’m not a Blu-ray snob like others. I can buy a DVD of a comedy that doesn’t have crazy effects, but a movie like this, you NEED on Blu-ray.
Then there’s the special features. There’s a documentary about the making of the film that’s worth the purchase alone. There’s deleted scenes. There’s information on the making of BB-8. There’s a piece on John Williams’ score and much more. Again, the Blu-ray is the way to go.
You know whether or not you want to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens. You probably already saw it and want to see it again. The Blu-ray isn’t quite the same as the theater experience, but it’s still worth buying. I watched it on a 55 inch 4K TV and loved seeing it again. It will be something I watch the rest of my life.
- Secrets of “”The Awakens””: A Cinematic Journey – For the first time, discover the complete story behind the making of “”The Awakens””, revealed through in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers in this full-length documentary.
- The Story Awakens: The Table Read – Cast members, familiar and new, reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie’s script.
- Building BB-8 – See how J.J. Abrams and team brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the Star Wars universe.
- Crafting Creatures – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life.
- Blueprint Of A Battle: The Snow Fight – Go deeper into the epic, climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren.
- John Williams: The Seventh Symphony – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars and “”The Awakens””.
- ILM The Visual Magic Of The – An insider’s look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie’s visual effects.
- Plus – Deleted Scenes.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Harrison Ford
- Oscar Isaac
- Daisy Ridley
- John Boyega
- Carrie Fisher
- Adam Driver
Recommended if You Like:
- Star Wars
- Science Fiction
- All-Time Great Franchises