Main Plot Points:
- Mafia! – Here’s a comedy you can’t refuse, as director Jim Abrahams (Hot Shots!) takes aim at The Godfather, Casino and other crime movies. Jay Mohr stars as the war vet who returns home and must take over his family’s business when an attempt is made on the life of patriarch Lloyd Bridges. With Christina Applegate, Olympia Dukakis and Billy Burke.
- Big Trouble – The laughs comes fast and furious as Tim Allen (Toy Story, The Santa Clause) and Rene Russo (Thor) lead an all-star ensemble cast in this hilarious comedy from the director of Get Shorty and Men In Black. Comedic chaos reigns when a mysterious suitcase that threatens the security of Miami changes the lives of a divorced dad, an unhappy housewife, two hit men, a pair of street thugs, two love-struck teens, two FBI men and a psychedelic toad. There is something for everyone no matter who is looking for big trouble, and in the end, all-star comedy conquers all.
- High Heels and Low Lifes – Minnie Driver (Good Will Hunting) and Mary McCormack (Gun Shy) star as best friends who take on low-life thieves in this hilarious high-energy action-comedy. It all starts when Shannon (Driver), a nurse at a London emergency room, and Frances (McCormack), a struggling American actress, overhear bank robbers on a radio scanner making off with a fortune. They make contact and demand a cut of the loot. But when the stubborn felons refuse to hand over a penny and threaten their lives in return, the girls decide to raise the stakes and give the thugs a run for their money! Packed with daring heists, double-crossings, and high-speed hilarity, High Heels and Low Lifes is the most fun you can have this side of the law.
What We Thought:
- Pretty Dumb Criminals Triple Felony Feature is an odd mix. It makes sense overall, but I don’t know if I’d put all 3 films together.
- The first film is Big Trouble. This one has a pretty solid cast including Tim Allen, Rene Russo, Tom Sizemore and Stanley Tucci. I’ve seen this a few times before and it’s one of the films that saw its release date changed because of 9/11.
- It didn’t do much at the box office because of the release change and I always wondered if it would have done better if it didn’t have to change. Tim Allen was huge at the time. Director Barry Sonnenfeld was huge at that time. It has laughs and rewatching it I still laughed years later.
- Second we have Mafia! This stays Jay Mohr, Lloyd Bridges and Christina Applegate. It’s a mobster/gangster spoof, but it came out when spoofs were half way decent and not the horrendous films they are today.
- I’ve always had a soft spot for the movie. It’s far from great and I’ve seen it enough that rewatching it I didn’t laugh as much as I remember, but I always liked Jay Mohr. If you think spoofs have to be non-stop memes and mean spirited jokes, this will show you that they can have somewhat of a plot along with jokes.
- Last we have High Heels and Low Lifes. I had never heard of this never mind seen it. Minnie Driver and Mary McCormack star in this crime caper type film. They play a nurse and actress and try to weasel their way into a cut of a bank robbery. Of course it doesn’t go well and they find themselves in deeper. Minnie Driver was really good and I liked seeing her in a less serious role. I kind of liked the film especially for one I didn’t know existed. Nice little surprise.
- Pretty Dumb Criminals Triple Felony Feature is a decent collection of 3 movies at a good price. If you buy Mill Creek sets, add this one to the collection.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Tim Allen
- Rene Russo
- Jay Mohr
- Minnie Driver
Recommended if You Like:
- Solid Casts