Main Plot Points:
- When reporter Kim Barker’s (Tina Fey) life needs something more, she decides to ‘shake it all up’ by taking an assignment in a war zone. There, in the midst of chaos, she finds the strength she never knew she had. Sometimes it takes saying ‘WTF’ to find the life you were always destined to have.
- Also starring Margot Robbie, Martin Freeman, Alfred Molina and Billy Bob Thornton, the film is directed by Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (“Crazy, Stupid, Love”) from a screenplay by Robert Carlock (“Saturday Night Live,” “30 Rock”).
What We Thought:
- Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is better than I thought it was going to be. I like Tina Fey on TV, haven’t really liked too many films she’s been in.
- I think what works for Fey in this is that she’s playing a real person. Her character Kim was a journalist who went overseas and lived this life. She can’t go too over the top with it and it keeps Fey’s performance grounded. I’d actually like to see Fey do more roles like this now.
- I also thought she had ridiculously good chemistry with Martin Freeman. I like Freeman a lot and he’s good with Fey in this. At first it’s that “She wants nothing to do with him/Will they, won’t they” storyline and their back & forth is really funny, cute and honest. It’s very believable why these two would eventually be drawn to each other in this environment.
- Even though it is based on a true story, you can tell they probably Hollywood-ized the story a bit. I haven’t read the book it’s based on yet, but from what I’ve been told, the movie is slightly different. I’m ok with that, you want more of a narrative for a movie compared to just a straight forward autobiography/memoir.
- A bunch of us agreed that the movie is better than the trailers make it seem. At least three of us after seeing the film walked out liking it more than expected. A more reserved Fey really worked for me. She didn’t always have to be the comic relief and that allowed others and other situations to be that relief. It didn’t solely rely on her to be the go to comedy like other films.
- In a war zone situation, events happening around you have to be taken comically. Things being lost in translation, a young boy conning people out of money with broken eggs, hooking up with people because you could die at any moment, those things break the tension of your daily life. You get that in this movie. Everyone is frightened and could die any minute so you lived life to the fullest and tried to let things relax. Even when dealing with soldiers and locals, the characters couldn’t let that tension break them.
- Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is better than it looks. Fey and Freeman are great together. Even though you can tell where it’s going, you still enjoy the journey. It surprised me because I just didn’t expect to like it and you know what? I’d watch it again when it hits video.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Tina Fey
- Martin Freeman
- Margot Robbie
- Billy Bob Thornton
Recommended if You Like:
- The Hurt Locker
- Journalism Movies
- War Movies