Main Plot Points:
- After the British Prime Minister has passed away under mysterious circumstances, all leaders of the Western world must attend his funeral. But what starts out as the most protected event on Earth, turns into a deadly plot to kill the world’s most powerful leaders and unleash a terrifying vision of the future.
- The President of the United States, his formidable secret service head and an English MI-6 agent who trusts no one are the only people that have any hope of stopping it.
What We Thought:
- London Has Fallen is an over the top, fun action movie. Was a sequel necessary? Of course not, but it’s a perfectly acceptable popcorn film.
- Gerard Butler returns as Aaron Eckhart’s Secret Serviceman. This time they are in London for the funeral of England’s Prime Minister. Of course it’s a trap by terrorists who are upset their family member was killed by a drone strike two years earlier. That’s really all you need to know.
- If you liked the first film, Olympus Has Fallen, you should enjoy this. It’s pretty much the same film with a different location. I’m ok with that. Sometimes you just want a loud, over the top action film to get your mind off things.
- If you can’t shut your mind off and just enjoy CGI explosions and guys getting stabbed in the head, don’t go. If you have to be politically correct 24/7, again, don’t go. Early reviews I’ve seen complain that the terrorists are Middle Eastern. These people probably rooted for Ivan Drago to defeat Rocky or for the Soviets to kill all the kids in Red Dawn. I’ve got one word for you folk, WOLVERINES! Get off your soapboxes people.
- It’s the type of movie I like to call “Stupid Fun”. There isn’t a whole lot of depth to the film. There’s not much character development or even smart dialogue. And you know what? I don’t care! I grew up on loud action movies with one liners and I like them. If you don’t, go find someone else to complain to.
- I’m still not a huge fan of CGI effects even though it’s the norm today. I’d rather see practical effects, but I know it’s not cost effective. That’s fine. You’re watching this to see Gerard Butler shoot people and blow stuff up. And that’s what happens. And that’s what I wanted.
- London Has Fallen is far from great. It’s not even all that necessary. But it’s fun and loud and things go boom and explode. Sometimes that’s all I want. Sometimes I want to avoid the real world for an hour and a half, De-Borg and just enjoy myself. This is good enough for me.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Gerard Butler
- Aaron Eckhart
- Morgan Freeman
Recommended if You Like:
- Olympus Has Fallen
- White House Down
- San Andreas