Main Plot Points:
- After getting in a car accident, a woman is held in a shelter by two men, who claim the outside world is affected by a widespread chemical attack.
What We Thought:
- I liked 10 Cloverfield Lane, but I have no idea what its association with Cloverfield is.
- The original film is a shaky cam, surprise monster film about a bunch of kids in the big city and the city seems to be under attack. This is about a woman who gets into a car accident, gets taken into a shelter with two men and maybe the outside world was attacked.
- John Goodman is fantastic in this like he is in everything else. He plays a former Navy man with a lot of conspiracy theories that leads him to build a shelter. His craziness seems to pay off and he helps save the lives of two people. Till the end, you’re never quite sure if he’s crazy and lying or if the world really is on fire. There’s lot of red herrings and he’s quite odd so he keeps you on your toes. Goodman, as usual, is brilliant.
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead is one of the most underrated actresses going. She’s great in this and has some fantastic scenes with Goodman and John Gallagher, Jr. I’ve liked her for years and I’m glad she’s getting some mainstream pushes because she could win an Oscar one day.
- There’s a lot of continuity errors that bothered me about the film. Goodman gets a cut on his forehead that requires stitches. The bandage appears and disappears in the same exact scene. Winstead has a leg problem from the accident and that also seems to disappear and reappear at random. Even with all that, I still liked the film.
- To talk about the ending of 10 Cloverfield Lane would ruin the entire movie. There’s a twist or maybe there isn’t. It depends on what you think is happening in the first place. I honestly couldn’t figure out how it connected to the first film and that’s fine. I wish it didn’t say Cloverfield in the title and was just a stand alone film because my expectations would have been different. Goodman and Winstead are great though so see it for them.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- John Goodman
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead
- John Gallagher Jr.
Recommended if You Like:
- Cloverfield (I guess)
- John Goodman!