Main Plot Points:
- When the powerful wizard, Lord Tensley, is jilted by Princess Ennogard, he vows to rid the land of love. He commands his fire-breathing dragon to destroy any sign of affection seen throughout the kingdom. As the death toll rises, Camilan, a brave but arrogant warrior seeks to marry his true love despite the curse upon the land.
- In order to fulfill his destiny, he seeks the help of his estranged brother Ramicus, a bounty hunter with no desire to get involved. It takes an enchanted distress message and the promise of great reward from the beautiful Princess Ennogard, to lure Ramicus into the quest to defeat the wizard and his terrible beast.
What We Thought:
- Dudes & Dragons isn’t for everyone, but for those it’s for, well, they will love it.
- If you’re shaking your head at its name, it’s clearly not for you. If you like B-movie style fantasy films, “So bad they are good” films, this is perfect for you.
- I had a lot of fun with it. It’s super CGI’d, green screened and low budget, but that’s why it’s fun. It looks preposterous and over the top laughable. You either get it or you don’t. It’s intentionally that way, not for a gimmick’s sake, just cause.
- It opens with a fantastic Luke Perry scene. Yeah you read that right, Luke Perry. Mr. 90210. If that scene works for you, keep watching. It gets better.
- Then the main cast gets introduced and there’s elves and Orcs, swords, dragons and magic. There’s a quest and pretty women and everything you want in your fantasy film. Plus comedy. This isn’t your straight forward Lord of the Rings type fantasy film, it’s a comedy-esque story lampooning those films. Yet it also feels like an homage to them from people who seem to enjoy those types of movies.
- The standout in the film is Adam Johnson. I remember him from Adam Green’s Frozen, but out of nowhere I’ve now seen him in 4 films over the past two weeks. I recently watched Vamp U which has been out for a few years and the first two films in the Mythica series as well. He’s pretty great in that poor man Bruce Campbell (not a negative thing) meets Jason Momoa way. He’s the Han Solo of this film and even has his own Chewbacca in an Orc that doesn’t speak English, but he can understand.
- Again, Dudes & Dragons clearly isn’t for everyone, but it has cult status written all over it. James Marsters plays a wizard. There’s CGI dragons and nothing, but green screen work. There’s a vehicle that catapults an Orc. You know if it’s for you. It’s for me. I’d totally watch it again and I’ve already told friends about it.
- Behind the Scenes Footage
- Deleted Scenes
- Visual Effects Featurette
Notable Cast & Crew:
- James Marsters
- Luke Perry
- Adam Johnson
Recommended if You Like:
- Knights of Badassdom
- The Mythica Series
- Action/Adventure/Fantasy films
Follow me at @murraymaker