Main Plot Points:
- Veteran FBI agent Charles Barker, who isn’t afraid to break rules to get the job done, trains new rookie partner Ellis Dove in his pushing-the-envelope style of agenting.
- But if Dove is having trouble learning the ropes, it could be because he’s a little distracted: An FBI Internal Affairs team that suspects Barker may have gone rogue is pressuring Dove to work as a double agent and keep them posted on his mentor.
What We Thought:
- I remember The Beast when it first aired on TV, but had never watched it till this complete series DVD set came my way. It’s a shame Patrick Swayze was sick (and eventually died) around this time because this could have been a solid cable hit.
- It has elements of a lot of other shows we’ve seen, but Swayze gave a good performance and it has decent writing.
- You can see pieces of shows like The Shield (putting an undercover agent in play to see if Swayze is playing nice) and storylines like Southland, Rookie Blue and Dark Blue.
- What I also liked is seeing a young Travis Fimmel in it. I’m a big fan of the TV show Vikings which he stars and hadn’t really seen anything else with him in it. He looks so different in this compared to his character Ragnar.
- If you like cop procedurals you’ll like this. There’s some good direction and writing as well. The storylines are similar to what we’ve seen before and after, but Swayze and Fimmel are good in it and keep it from being just another clichéd cop show.
- If you haven’t seen The Beast, watch it just to see Swayze one last time. On top of that, it was a pretty decent cop show. This is the complete series so it’s worth buying.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Patrick Swayze
- Travis Fimmel
Recommended if You Like:
- Dark Blue
- Cop procedurals