Main Plot Points:
- 4 Movie Thrill-Fest!Vacancy When David (Luke Wilson) and Amy Fox’s (Kate Beckinsale) car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, they are forced to spend the night at the only motel around, with only the TV to entertain them – until they discover that the low-budget slasher videos they find in their room were all filmed in the very room in which they’re sitting. With hidden cameras now aimed at them – trapping them in rooms, crawlspaces, underground tunnels – and filming their every move, David and Amy must struggle to get out alive before they end up the next victims on tape.
- I Know What You Did Last Summer Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar star with Ryan Phillippe, Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Johnny Galecki in this terrifying tale of a body that just won’t stay dead. After an accident on a winding road, four teens make the fatal mistake of dumping their victim’s body into the sea. Exactly one year later, the dead man returns from his watery grave and he wants more than an apology.
- When A Stranger Calls To Jill Johnson, it was the perfect babysitting job. The parents were away. The fridge was stocked. The children were tucked into bed. But then the phone rings and an ominous voice asks, “Have you checked the children?” Locked in with the lights out and the curtains drawn, a panicky Jill phones the police, who trace the calls – only to inform her they’re coming from inside the house.
- The Cave Deep in the Romanian forest, a team of scientists stumbles upon the ruins of a 13th-century abbey. On further inspection, they make a startling discovery – the abbey is built over the entrance to a giant underground cave system. Local biologists believe the cave could be home to an undiscovered ecosystem, so they hire a group of American cave explorers to help them investigate its depths.
What We Thought:
- Queens of Scream is a collection of four decent horror/thrillers. You’ve probably seen them before and they’ve all been available on DVD/Blu-ray before, but Mill Creek put them in one collection for you.
- Of the four, Vacancy is my favorite. I first saw it years ago and thought it was a smart little thriller. Kate Beckinsale is one of my favorites and I also like Luke Wilson so this film worked for me. It’s classic horror/thriller storytelling. A couple at a shady hotel finds out it’s more than just shady and have to fight for survival. It’s been done before (and since), but two solid leads and a believable setting makes it worth. If you haven’t seen it, I recommend it.
- I Know What You Did Last Summer is the biggest name on the list. It’s good, but let’s be honest, they were really hoping it was going to be a genre changer like Scream when it first came out. It solidified Jennifer Love Hewitt’s popularity at the time and spawned many of rip offs so historically, it’s a genre film worth watching. It’s the classic “revenge” storyline of someone hunting down those who done him wrong, but it worked especially for that time. Watching it again after all these years you remember all the movies that came after it, but it’s still a solid thriller.
- Speaking of classic genre stories, When a Stranger Calls has been done hundreds of times, but this one isn’t too bad. Arrow’s Katie Cassidy stars in this, one of her earlier films that got her name out there and if you’ve seen one “It’s coming from inside your house!” film before, you’ve seen this, but I have a soft spot for Tommy Flanagan so I liked this more than I should have (probably).
- Last we have The Cave. I had actually never seen this one before despite having a cast of people I like (Lena Headley, Cole Hauser, etc.). I like The Descent better, but this is way better than recent genre films like As Above, So Below. Definitely a film style you’ve seen before, but it fits well in this collection. The weakest of the four films, but if you like the cast, check it out.
- Mill Creek puts together really good combo collections and Queens of Scream is a solid collection. Vacancy is a must see if you haven’t, the others are a good watch as well.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Jennifer Love Hewitt
- Kate Beckinsale
- Lena Headley
- Katie Cassidy
- Sarah Michelle Gellar
Recommended if You Like:
- Horror Flicks
- 90s/Early 2000s Flicks
- Attractive Women!