Main Plot Points:
- When the world’s most beautiful musical celebrities are systematically assassinated with formerly famous male model Derek Zoolander’s iconic “Blue Steel” look on their face, Interpol recruits Derek and his friend Hansel McDonald to infiltrate a new and different world of high fashion in order to put a stop to it. Meanwhile, Derek’s rival Jacobim Mugatu is set free and is seeking revenge.
What We Thought:
- Zoolander 2 has some laughs, but is more unnecessary than anything else.
- I didn’t love the first film, but I remember laughing at it more than not. Unfortunately I can’t say the same for its sequel. I sat there quietly more than I did laughing.
- The problem is, it’s pretty much the same film. Zoolander is a moron, finds himself in a dangerous situation with Hansel and they have to save the day.
- This one adds a son, new characters played by Penelope Cruz and Kristen Wiig, but it doesn’t add anything new. He’s dumb, Hansel isn’t much better. Mugatu (Will Ferrell) is the bad guy. We got it the first time.
- I think die hard fans might like it. The audience seemed to laugh more than I did. I think I laughed more AT it than WITH it. It’s preposterous and dumb. I guess that’s what the audience was laughing at.
- It does have some funny parts, but they are few and far between. That’s my issue with most Ben Stiller films, I don’t always find him funny as a lead. I like him in supporting roles (Dodgeball) or more ensemble films (Tropic Thunder). I don’t like films that rely heavily on him.
- I don’t see Zoolander 2 being the decent hit the first one was that grew into a bigger hit on video and cable. If you are old enough for an R-rated film, skip this and go see Deadpool instead, it’s way funnier.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Ben Stiller
- Owen Wilson
- Will Ferrell
- Penelope Cruz
- Kristen Wiig
Recommended if You Like:
- Ben Stiller films