Main Plot Points:
- In TRIPLE 9, a crew of dirty cops is blackmailed by the Russian mob to execute a virtually impossible heist. The only way to pull it off is to manufacture a 999, police code for “officer down”.
- Their plan is turned upside down when the unsuspecting rookie they set up to die foils the attack, triggering a breakneck, action-packed finale filled with double-crosses, greed and revenge.
What We Thought:
- Triple 9 is a pretty solid cop drama. I wanted a bit more from it, but overall I enjoyed it and recommend it.
- The cast is fantastic. Some great Oscar names and up and comers and two great TV actors in Aaron Paul and Norman Reedus. The cast is why I wanted to see it. It turning out to be good is a bonus.
- I like the idea of former special ops/military types taking their skills into the world of crime. Adding in that they are dirty cops is just another level. We are going to see a lot of veterans entering into new careers so I like that concept. And hey, they are trained for it after all.
- I also like that it didn’t try to outsmart itself. It has a couple of twists and turns (ones you can see coming), but it doesn’t try to be too smart and bog itself down with layers. I respect that. It’s a pretty straight forward dirty cop film with good cops trying to figure out who the bad guys are and what lines can and won’t be crossed.
- I did think it could have used a little bit more backstory on some of the characters or to cut a character or two. Chiwetel Ejiofor has a kid and ex-wife that serve a purpose, but really weren’t that necessary. It could have just been a money thing for him. I thought there should have been more backstory between Norman Reedus and Aaron Paul who play brothers. You learn about Aaron’s character, but nothing about their relationship as brothers. I might be splitting hairs, but that stood out to me.
- I thought every actor was solid too. Casey Affleck can give a good performance and he does here. Same for Ejiofor, Kate Winslet and Clifton Collins Jr. Paul and Reedus are both solid as well. Woody Harrelson might be playing himself as a cop, but he’s still Woody Harrelson! The surprise might be Anthony Mackie. He’s not a bad actor, but let’s be honest, looking at the names in this film, Marvel’s Falcon doesn’t necessarily stand out. But I really liked him in this and hope he does more of these roles in between Marvel movies.
- Triple 9 opens with a pretty good bank robbery that reminded me of Heat and The Town. It slows down a bit till the end, but it’s still a decent cop/crime drama. The cast makes it worth seeing and it’s probably the best film in theaters after Deadpool currently.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Norman Reedus
- Aaron Paul
- Kate Winslet
- Anthony Mackie
- Chiwetel Ejiofor
- Casey Affleck
- Clifton Collins Jr.
- Woody Harrelson
Recommended if You Like:
- Cop/Crime Dramas