Main Plot Points:
- A zombie outbreak has fallen upon the land in this reimagining of Jane Austen’s classic tale of the tangled relationships between lovers from different social classes in 19th century England. Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet (Lily James) is a master of martial arts and weaponry and the handsome Mr. Darcy (Sam Riley) is a fierce zombie killer, yet the epitome of upper class prejudice.
- As the zombie outbreak intensifies, they must swallow their pride and join forces on the blood-soaked battlefield in order to conquer the undead once and for all.
What We Thought:
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is too much Pride and Prejudice, not enough zombies.
- I know it sounds wrong, but I actually wanted this film to be dumber and more over the top ridiculous. With a name like it has, it should have been more ridiculous.
- It opens up pretty strong. Mr. Darcy discovers a zombie in high society and then not long after, the 5 Bennet sisters go into a dance and slaughter a bunch of zombies as a team. Unfortunately, that’s like the last time you see them fight as a team.
- That’s my biggest issue, the film is supposed to be sort of a farce, but it takes itself way too seriously. There’s some action spaced out, but in between is nothing, but love story and Pride and Prejudice.
- Well I‘ve never read or seen Pride and Prejudice so because of that, I feel like I’m missing out on a lot of inside jokes. A scene in this, Darcy jumping into a lake, made the Jane Austen fan girls erupt into applause. I didn’t get it. I guess if you’ve read the book or seen any version of it, you might like this, maybe.
- I’ve been paying attention to this film for years. It was supposed to go into production years ago and was delayed. I was really looking forward to it. I’m a big Matt Smith fan so I really wanted to like it. Unfortunately I was pretty bored with it. So much of it requires knowledge of the Jane Austen story that it just didn’t work for me. I wanted lots of zombies, lots of death, high society meets the zombie apocalypse. I didn’t get that.
- Speaking of the zombies, they weren’t very good. I liked the idea of how they lived (it’s a new twist to the zombie genre and I won’t spoil it), but did it ever actually show a zombie biting or killing someone? I don’t think so. It goes back to what I said previously, not enough zombie action.
- Even though I was disappointed in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, I still recommend it to zombie aficionados. There’s a twist to how they survive so that’s worth seeing. I wanted a lot more from the film, not just an inside joke about Jane Austen especially when I’m not familiar with her work.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Matt Smith
- Lily James
- Sam Riley
- Jack Huston
Recommended if You Like:
- Pride & Prejudice
- Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter