Main Plot Points:
- After the sudden loss of their parents, the Salinger children must band together to keep their own lives on track, discovering first loves, last calls, and themselves along the rocky road to growing up.
- Headlined by a young, sexy cast this highly-rated, long-running series firmly found its place as a pop culture phenomenon for all ages.
What We Thought:
- Party of Five is one of those shows that more people watched than admitted it. I watched it, but not right away, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a fan.
- Mill Creek has put together a 24 disc box set of the complete series and it’s worth picking up if you are a fan of the show. Rewatching a bunch of episodes I forgot all the different storylines the show had over the years.
- I think the biggest surprise during a rewatch is you remember that Jennifer Love Hewitt wasn’t a main cast member right away. The show put Love on the map yet she wasn’t a core member immediately and it wasn’t until she became a fan favorite did she really stick around.
- The show tackled everything you expect in a teen/young adult drama. There’s sex and relationships and work and kids and school and eventual marriage talk. Other shows have done all that before, but because these siblings were on their own, it felt different, maybe even more believable.
- This is the first time the entire series has been available in one collection and it’s worth having all the seasons together. I think it’s a show like Gilmore Girls that people will go back and rewatch a few times because you pick up new things on more viewings.
- Party of Five wasn’t necessarily ground breaking television, but it was still a solid show that gave Jennifer Love Hewitt, Scott Wolf, Neve Campbell, Matthew Fox and Lacey Chabert careers. The death of parents and all the other drama in the show never really felt forced. You rooted for the Salingers even when you knew they were making bad decisions. You watched these characters (and actors) grow up in front of you and you believed that they were family.
You can purchase the series directly from Mill Creek here: http://www.millcreekent.com/party-of-five-the-complete-series.html
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Jennifer Love Hewitt
- Matthew Fox
- Scott Wolf
- Neve Campbell
- Lacey Chabert
Recommended if You Like:
- 7th Heaven
- Dawson’s Creek
- Gilmore Girls