Main Plot Points:
- MOUNTAIN MEN follows two estranged brothers, Topher (Tyler Labine of “Deadbeat”) and Cooper (Chace Crawford of “Gossip Girl”), as they journey to a remote family cabin in the mountains to evict a squatter.
- Buried resentment and bruised egos soon derail the plan and when the smoke clears they’ve destroyed their car and burned down the cabin, leaving them stranded in the cold Rocky Mountain winter. With their very survival at stake, they must learn to work together as brothers to get back to civilization.
What We Thought:
- Mountain Men is a fun little movie that’s a cross between a comedy and wilderness survival film.
- I’m a huge Tyler Labine fan, have been since Reaper. I think he’s one of the most underrated comedic actors going. I had no idea what this movie was about at first, but wanted to see it simply because of him.
- And he didn’t disappoint. Labine plays a small town DJ/weed dealer whose mom is getting remarried. His younger brother, played by Chace Crawford, comes home from the big city for the wedding. He wants to bond with his younger brother and he takes him to their deceased father’s cabin.
- Of course the cabin burns to the ground, in a scene that literally made me laugh out loud, and the two brothers struggle to survive the mountain.
- There are scenes in the movie that are quite funny. Labine and Crawford have surprisingly good chemistry and Labine shines in these types of roles. Crawford plays the “straight” character, the serious one with his life together (or so it seems). Labine gets to be the comedic relief opposite him and he’s mastered these buddy/brother/goofball roles. But as usual, his character has heart and you genuinely root for him and Crawford.
- You would think that combining a comedy with a mountain/snow survival story wouldn’t work, but this does. I think it’s because they developed the characters and gave you a sense of who they were BEFORE getting lost that you want to see them get rescued. You see them as brothers, as two guys trying to reconnect and figure out their lives. You see what Topher does for Cooper and you understand why he goes that far for him because Labine seems like he could be your best friend in real life. Two different actors and this might not have worked as well for me.
- Mountain Men isn’t for everyone, but most of these smaller films aren’t. If you like Labine, find it immediately. He’s lovable and goofy and funny as usual. The surprise to me is Crawford. Maybe it’s because I’m used to him playing “pretty boys” that I didn’t think I’d like him in this, but he works really well with Labine. I’d actually like to see them work together again. It’s just a nice little movie people should check out.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Tyler Labine
- Chace Crawford
Recommended if You Like:
- Tucker & Dale Vs Evil
- Tyler Labine
Follow me at @murraymaker