Main Plot Points:
- A heroic action-thriller, “The Finest Hours” is the remarkable true story of the most daring rescue mission in the history of the Coast Guard. Presented in Digital 3D™, Real D 3D and IMAX® 3D, the film will transport audiences to the heart of the action, creating a fully-immersive cinematic experience on an epic scale. On February 18, 1952, a massive nor’easter struck New England, pummeling towns along the Eastern seaboard and wreaking havoc on the ships caught in its deadly path, including the SS Pendleton, a T-2 oil tanker bound for Boston, which was literally ripped in half, trapping more than 30 sailors inside its rapidly-sinking stern.
- As the senior officer on board, first assistant engineer Ray Sybert (Casey Affleck) soon realizes it is up to him to take charge of the frightened crew and inspire the men to set aside their differences and work together to ride out one of the worst storms to ever hit the East Coast.
- Meanwhile, as word of the disaster reaches the U.S. Coast Guard station in Chatham, Massachusetts, Warrant Officer Daniel Cluff (Eric Bana) orders a daring operation to rescue the stranded men. Despite overwhelming odds, four men, led by Coast Guard Captain Bernie Webber (Chris Pine), set out in a wooden lifeboat with an ill-equipped engine and little, if any, means of navigation, facing frigid temperatures, 60-foot high waves and hurricane-force winds.
What We Thought:
- The Finest Hours is one of the most heroic stories you’ll ever see on the big screen.
- The film is based on the book of the same name which tells the true story of one of the Coast Guard’s most daring rescues. Four men, in what most considered a suicide mission, headed out in a wooden boat to rescue 30+ men from one of the worst storms to ever hit New England. These men were on a tanker that split in half trapping them in the vicious storm off the Atlantic Coast.
- It’s that story that makes the film what it is. Not only is it one “man vs. nature” story, it’s two. You have over 30 men trapped on a tanker trying to survive till help arrives. Then on top of it, you have that help trying to survive their trip out to the tanker.
- That part of the film is what I liked most. Yes there’s a lot of CGI used to show what happened, but I’m ok with that. It looks a lot better than In the Heart of the Sea which looked 100% fake. The tanker crew looks like they are in actual danger and looks like they are actually on a tanker. Same can be said for the four Coast Guard men. You feel how small their boat is and how much of a beating it takes in the waves.
- Other than the story, the biggest draw to the film is the cast. As a local Bostonian of course I’m a Casey Affleck fan, but the rest of the cast almost seems picked straight from my brain. I think Chris Pine is really underrated. Most people know him as Captain Kirk in Star Trek, but he’s been in some really hidden gems like Stretch, Bottle Shock and Smokin’ Aces. I’m also a huge Ben Foster fan, have been since Freaks & Geeks. You really can’t go wrong with Eric Bana as well.
- Plus the film has great supporting actors like Michael Raymond-James, Abe Benrubi, Graham McTavish (who steals every scene he’s in), Kyle Gallner, John Magaro, and John Ortiz. Pretty much every person in the film is an actor I like.
- The only issue I have with the film is that Disney does its Disney thing and adds a side story that isn’t necessary. They add a love story between Bernie (Pine) and Miriam (Holliday Grainger). Having read the book and knowing the story, this love story is pretty fabricated to add drama to the movie. The movie didn’t need that extra drama, the story itself is dramatic enough. That being said, Grainger is fantastic in the role though. She will definitely put herself on the map with her performance.
- The Finest Hours has one of the best stories you’ll see this year. Not only that, but it’s also a really good date movie. You can see it with your friends. You can see it with a loved one. The story will fascinate you and it almost seems too good to be true. But it is true and these men deserve your attention.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Chris Pine
- Casey Affleck
- Eric Bana
- Michael Raymond-James
- Ben Foster
- Holliday Grainger
Recommended if You Like:
- The Perfect Storm
- Lone Survivor