Main Plot Points:
- “DADDY’S HOME” follows a mild-mannered radio executive (Will Ferrell) who strives to become the best stepdad to his wife’s two children, but complications ensue when their freewheeling and freeloading real father (Mark Wahlberg) arrives, forcing him to compete for the affection of the kids.
What We Thought:
- I’m a big fan of The Other Guys, I have it on Blu-ray. Overall I enjoy Will Ferrell comedies. I also like Mark Wahlberg a lot. Still, something about Daddy’s Home just didn’t look all that good.
- And, well, it’s not. I can admit I laughed more than I thought I would, but if you’ve seen the trailers, you’ve seen a lot of those jokes already.
- Ferrell is the “straight” guy with Wahlberg providing the chink in the armor. We’ve seen it (and a lot of these types of jokes) many times before, but let’s be honest, Ferrell and Wahlberg have that proverbial “it” that still gets you to laugh.
- Hannibal Buress can be hit or miss for me. There’s times he’s absolutely hilarious, other times I don’t find him funny. He’s quite good in this. I think I laughed the most at him and the kids.
- I think that’s what the movie should have done, focused on the kids and allowed them to have big punch lines. They get jokes and some lines, but Ferrell and Wahlberg are the ones landing the big jokes. It could have been a really funny “family” film if the kids got more.
- It’s not very good and I’m not sure quite sure who the target audience is. It’s a lot lighter than The Other Guys (or even Will’s film Step Brothers which it compares to) so if you are expecting an adult comedy like those, it’s not that. But then again, it’s not quite as family friendly as it probably should be. It’s coming out on Christmas, has Daddy in the title and is rated PG-13, yet I wouldn’t bring family members under 10 to it.
- The ending of Daddy’s Home saves it from being a total disappointment. The ending is really funny and I did laugh at the film at times. Unfortunately it just doesn’t compare to their other films and it won’t be something you watch on Comedy Central every time it’s on.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Will Ferrell
- Mark Wahlberg
- Hannibal Buress
- Thomas Haden Church
Recommended if You Like:
- The Other Guys
- Step Brothers
- Will Ferrell comedies