Main Plot Points:
- When a group of cannibal savages kidnaps settlers from the small town of Bright Hope, an unlikely team of gunslingers, led by Sheriff Franklin Hunt (Kurt Russell), sets out to bring them home. But their enemy is more than anyone could have imagined, putting their mission – and survival itself – in serious jeopardy.
- Kurt Russell (The Hateful Eight, Tombstone) leads an all-star cast, including Patrick Wilson (Insidious), Matthew Fox (Lost) and Richard Jenkins (The Visitor) in this gritty, action-packed thriller chronicling a terrifying rescue mission in the Old West.
What We Thought:
- I grew up on westerns and love newer westerns like Tombstone and 3:10 to Yuma. In fact, Tombstone is one of my all time favorite films so I had high expectations of Bone Tomahawk.
- Unfortunately it doesn’t quite meet those expectations because, well, it doesn’t quite end up being a western. 75% of the movie is a western, but man, that ending? Not so much.
- Just because it didn’t meet expectations doesn’t mean I didn’t like it. Far from it. It’s still a solid film and Kurt Russell, Richard Jenkins, Patrick Wilson and Matthew Fox are very good in it. A different cast and it might not be watchable.
- Three quarters of the movie is your typical western style. A man gets thrown in jail, some savages kidnap a woman and a man. Russell, Wilson, Fox and Jenkins go out to rescue them. Standard plot and that’s what you expect.
- Then they get to where the savages live and well, it might as well be a horror movie. Seriously, there is a scene that is one of the most disturbing scenes you’ll ever see. EVER. I won’t even hint at what happens because it’s that messed up. I was told about a disturbing scene and even with that warning, I was not expecting THAT.
- Bone Tomahawk feels like two drastically different movies and I’m ok with that. If you like the cast especially Russell, see it. If you like recent westerns, see it. If you like out of the blue twists, see it. Not quite what I expected, but I still overall enjoyed it.
- The Making of Bone Tomahawk
- Deleted Scene
- Image Gallery
- Fantastic Fest Q&A with the director and cast
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Kurt Russell
- Patrick Wilson
- Richard Jenkins
- Matthew Fox
Recommended if You Like:
- 3:10 to Yuma
- New westerns (with a twist)