Main Plot Points:
- Like something out of a dime store novel or a Hollywood Cold War thriller, the story of William Alexander Morgan has it all–adventure and romance, mobsters and spies, and a cast of characters that includes J. Edgar Hoover, Chè Guevera, and Fidel Castro.
- Told through eyewitnesses, American Comandante is a quintessential American story of a man who reinvented himself, transforming from a failure to a hero and celebrity.
What We Thought:
- American Comandante almost doesn’t seem real. William Morgan’s story is like straight out of Forrest Gump.
- He started his life in Toledo, Ohio where as a teen he ran away to join the circus. Later on he joins the US military. Then he has a family and he leaves them for Florida where he meets up with Cuban freedom fighters.
- He ends up in Cuba fighting with Fidel Castro to over throw Batista. He then becomes part of Castro’s regime.
- The US pulls his citizenship, but tries to get him to kill Castro. If it wasn’t documented, I wouldn’t believe it.
- I’m kind of ashamed that I didn’t know the story that much before watching this. It’s just an absurd story, but something people should know about it. Will he go down as anti-American? Pro-Castro? Anti-Communist Castro? Traitor? Hero?
- American Comandante is yet another solid history lesson from PBS/American Experience. I found it fascinating and it should get you talking about who is and isn’t a hero and why. Just really interesting and intriguing story.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- American Experience
Recommended if You Like:
- American History
- Bizarre Stories
- PBS/American Experience shows