Main Plot Points:
- During the crack cocaine explosion of the late ’80s and early ’90s, Michael Dowd, a New York City police officer, brazenly led a crew of crooked cops to build his own empire in East New York. Labeled “The Dirtiest Cop Ever,” Dowd turned the department s 75th Precinct into a den of corruption, both protecting and robbing drug dealers while lining his own pockets to the point of bursting with cash and drugs. His arrest in 1992 led to the largest police corruption scandal in New York City history.
- Packed with interviews with both those who broke the law and those who protected it, The Seven Five is the ultimate investigation of the notorious events, for the first time putting the audience inside the cars – and the minds – of these crooked cops.
What We Thought:
- The Seven Five is a fascinating documentary about corrupt New York cops. And when I say corrupt, I mean corrupt.
- Some people like to think cops are bad today, but watch this and learn about Michael Dowd. That guy is pretty much a gangster.
- I knew the story vaguely, but never realized how bad these guys got. Dowd seemed to be dirty within a year and once Ken Eurell took his first $100, it went all down hill.
- For the most part, they didn’t think they were doing anything wrong. And ok maybe I agree to a degree that robbing drug dealers isn’t a bad thing, but once you start WORKING for drug dealers, that’s when you crossed the line.
- That’s how crazy this real life story is. You have cops getting $600 checks every week from the department, but making $8000 per week protecting drug dealers. They were eliminating competition, taking coke off others and selling it themselves. At different times they were just outright taking bags of cash. Of course Dowd got a taste of the life and it ultimately became his downfall.
- Writer/Director Joe Carnahan said he based two characters in the film Pride & Glory on Michael Dowd and Ken Eurell. After hearing that I was pumped to see The Seven Five. It’s a very intriguing film and is pretty honest about what happened. I rather enjoyed it.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Michael Dowd
- Ken Eurell
Recommended if You Like:
- Pride & Glory
- Crime Stories