Main Plot Points:
- In this next chapter of the epic “Maze Runner” saga, Thomas (Dylan O’Brien) and his fellow Gladers face their greatest challenge yet: searching for clues about the mysterious and powerful organization known as WCKD.
- Their journey takes them to the Scorch, a desolate landscape filled with unimaginable obstacles. Teaming up with resistance fighters, the Gladers take on WCKD’s vastly superior forces and uncover its shocking plans for them all.
What We Thought:
- The first Maze Runner film I was genuinely shocked that I didn’t hate. I hate every other Young Adult film out there including the big ones The Hunger Games and Divergent. They do nothing for me, but The Maze Runner wasn’t as pandering to its audience and had no dumb love triangle and all the other crap tween girls go crazy over.
- I’m even more shocked that not only did I not hate Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, but I think I actually LIKED it! It’s not a great movie or anything, but overall I walked out enjoying what I saw and would actually see the next film, something I can’t say about any other YA series.
- Maybe the difference is these films have more action or sense of adventure to them compared to other franchises. Those other films literally make my eyes roll at their corniness. And this has no shirtless men in this to make the girls hoot. I respect that.
- Having not read the book I was totally surprised at the zombies. Yeah zombies! In a YA film! Thank you for that. Sure they are just the CGI zombies you see in most big budget films of today, but at least there’s action holding my attention.
- Some of the complaints I’ve heard make sense others aren‘t valid. Yes there’s a lot of running going on. Name of the movie has runner in it so that shouldn’t be so surprising. One person said he didn’t like it because other YA films have a message behind them and this doesn’t. I simply don’t care about messages in movies. I ask to be entertained and I was.
- And before you think I’m some Dylan O’Brien fanboy, let me say this, I’ve never seen Teen Wolf. I’ve seen him in these movies, and a couple others he’s in as supporting characters.
- Hey, I’m just as surprised as you that I don’t mind this series. I can honestly say I think I like Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials more than the first film. I don’t like that none of them really have endings because you know a sequel is coming, but that’s the MO of YA. It’ll probably win the weekend and do over $100 million total in the States. And yes, I’ll watch the next one as well!
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Dylan O’Brien
- Giancarlo Esposito
- Aiden Gillen
- Patricia Clarkson
Recommended if You Like:
- The Maze Runner
- YA Books/Films