Main Plot Points:
- American Ultra is a fast-paced action comedy about Mike [Eisenberg], a seemingly hapless and unmotivated stoner whose small-town life with his live-in girlfriend, Phoebe [Stewart], is suddenly turned upside down.
- Unbeknownst to him, Mike is actually a highly trained, lethal sleeper agent. In the blink of an eye, as his secret past comes back to haunt him, Mike is thrust into the middle of a deadly government operation and is forced to summon his inner action-hero in order to survive.
What We Thought:
- American Ultra is as lackluster as I expected. Even though I like Jesse Eisenberg, the film had a lot of strikes against it going into it.
- First of all it’s a late August release which is a bad sign. If it was a big comedy, it would have played earlier in the summer. Late August is when they throw out all leftovers hoping to cash in one final dollar.
- Second, Kristen Stewart is Jesse’s co-star/love interest. I’m not a fan of hers. I’ve never seen a film where I thought she was good. She does the same face over and over and just looks like she doesn’t want to be there. I don’t want her there either.
- I must have forgotten that Topher Grace was in it because I groaned when he first appeared. I haven’t liked any of his work since That 70’s Show so his addition to K-Stew really lowered my satisfaction of the movie.
- As for the movie itself, it’s not very funny. It has some moments (Eisenberg and John Leguizamo have some great scenes together), but don’t expect Pineapple Express 2. It’s rather ho-hum and I forgot about most of it as soon as I left.
- The worst part is, they have the brilliant Walton Goggins in the film. He is hands down one of the best TV actors of the past decade and they did nothing with him. They made him a crazy guy hunting down Eisenberg and K-Stew, but give him nothing to work with.
- American Ultra is uneventful. They try to pass it off as a funny stoner/spy mix, but it’s just lame. The stoner material I’ve seen a million times before and having Topher Grace as a man with authority is a joke. I’d rather watch Zombieland for the 50th time than watch this again.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Jesse Eisenberg
- Kristen Stewart
- Topher Grace
Recommended if You Like:
- Pineapple Express