Main Plot Points:
- When John Connor (Jason Clarke), leader of the human resistance, sends Sgt. Kyle Reese (Jai Courtney) back to 1984 to protect Sarah Connor (Emilia Clarke) and safeguard the future, an unexpected turn of events creates a fractured timeline. Now, Sgt. Reese finds himself in a new and unfamiliar version of the past, where he is faced with unlikely allies, including the Guardian (Arnold Schwarzenegger), dangerous new enemies, and an unexpected new mission: To reset the future…
What We Thought:
- Overall I really enjoyed Terminator Genisys. It’s a solid, loud, in your face Summer blockbuster although it has a story that destroys all the previous films.
- I’ll start with the positives. It is definitely the best Terminator film since Terminator 2: Judgment Day. I didn’t particularly like Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, but I didn’t hate Terminator Salvation as much as others. This is better (or at least more fun) than those 2 and really should be the third film like James Cameron recently said.
- Arnold is back on his game in this as well. He has some great one liners and actually plays an age appropriate Terminator (watch it and see what I mean). There’s good action and destruction like you want from an Arnold Terminator flick.
- There’s also some good Terminators in the film. There’s a new kind that makes the T-1000 silvery liquid one look like garbage. It was pretty visually stunning. Although there is a T-1000 played by the amazing (and pretty underrated) Byung-hun Lee.
- I also liked the references to the early film. In this one, Kyle Reese goes back to 1984, but it’s slightly different (I won’t ruin much). Although it’s different, there’s some great scenes that pay homage to James Cameron’s classic despite Michael Biehn and Linda Hamilton not playing the original roles. The whole 1984 part is a lot of fun for us fans of the original.
- The biggest problem I had with the film is the story. Yes Terminator science has always been drastically flawed and before you say, “But Ken it’s a time travel film, anything is possible”, I’ll say this, “No, not everything is possible.” If someone from the future goes to the past, yes they can die and still be born when they are expected to, but, if you change the past you then change the future. If Skynet is stopped from existing, then the machines don’t rise and no Terminators are ever created.
- I don’t want to give away too much information and spoil this film because if you are a fan, you should definitely see it, but this story makes the previous 4 films non-existent. Sure we all like to pretend 3 & 4 don’t exist, but the first two are classics and now they could have never happened because of the story in Genisys especially Judgment Day. Very few time travel films get the science right for me, but I was having a lot of fun with this till the end and it made me mad.
- All of that being said, I still recommend Terminator Genisys especially for fans of the franchise. It really should be the third film in the series and it’s just fun. Sci-fi nerds will like it and there’s lots of action. Go see it and stay till after the credits for an end credits scene.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Jason Clarke
- Emilia Clarke
- Jai Courtney
- Matt Smith
Recommended if You Like:
- The Terminator Franchise
- Science Fiction Flicks
- Action Movies