Main Plot Points:
- An extremely wealthy man, dying from cancer, undergoes a radical medical procedure that transfers his consciousness into the body of a healthy young man. But all is not as it seems when he starts to uncover the mystery of the body’s origin and the organization that will kill to protect its cause.
What We Thought:
- Self/less is a smart movie for dumb people. It has ideas that will make dumb wonder if they are possible.
- I had heard some awful things about the movie. I saw posts call it “Point/less”. After I saw it, I didn’t quite get the hate for it.
- It’s far from a great movie, but it’s not the unwatchable nightmare I was expecting. The concept is kind of dumb and impossible, but I’ve seen far, far worse films this year.
- I thought it was way better than Limitless from a few years ago. That movie did nothing for me. At least this one I paid attention to for most of it.
- The actors in this certainly help. I do like Ryan Reynolds besides some major bombs under his belt. Victor Garber and Ben Kingsley are always good and I thought Matthew Goode was very good as the doctor.
- The major issue with the film is the ideas in it. If you have a brain, you know these things are impossible and the results lead to a film that you’ve seen before. Seriously, if you’ve seen more than 10 films in your life, you’ve seen every plot device, plot hole, plot trick in this movie before.
- There were people at the screening that were genuinely surprised at the twists and turns, but if you’ve graduated from high school, you can see this entire movie happening from miles away.
- Self/less isn’t all that good. Opening it now against Minions and with the juggernauts Jurassic World and Inside Out still in theaters is dumb. If it opened in October with a better marketing push, it might have done something, but it’s going to get buried at the box office. If you are interested in it, see it now because it won’t be around for long.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Ryan Reynolds
- Matthew Goode
- Ben Kingsley
- Victor Garber
Recommended if You Like:
- Movies That Want To Be Smarter Than What They Are