Main Plot Points:
- In Pixels, when intergalactic aliens misinterpret video-feeds of classic arcade games as a declaration of war against them, they attack the Earth, using the games as models for their various assaults. President Will Cooper (Kevin James) has to call on his childhood best friend, ’80s video game champion Sam Brenner (Adam Sandler), now a home theater installer, to lead a team of old-school arcaders (Peter Dinklage and Josh Gad) to defeat the aliens and save the planet. Joining them is Lt. Col. Violet Van Patten (Michelle Monaghan), a specialist supplying the arcaders with unique weapons to fight the aliens.
What We Thought:
- Pixels is Adam Sandler’s best film in years. I’m a Sandler fan and really enjoyed it.
- Even though I am a fan, I can admit that the Sandman has had more misses than hits over the past decade. As someone who grew up with Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore, I wanted more of that type of film from him. Well that’s back with Pixels.
- His 90s movies mixed comedy with classic rock and nostalgia and this is nothing, but pure nostalgia. The film opens with Cheap Trick playing and automatically you are in the 1980s. Kids are playing arcades and it’s just fun.
- Flash forward 30 + years later and Sandler is an underachiever who’s called to the White House by his friend the President (Kevin James). Aliens are attacking the Earth using classic video game characters.
- This is where the film gets really good. As a product of the 80s, the movie really plays with your childhood memories and has you laughing at Qbert, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong and the like. It’s like Wreck-It Ralph in that you try to guess what video game you’ll see next.
- What also helps the film is that Sandler and James don’t just rely on themselves for humor. I find Josh Gad funny. I haven’t always liked what he’s been in, but overall I can say I think he’s funny. He’s quite funny in this. He plays a brilliant gamer/conspiracy nut and is a great middle character between James’ President and Sandler’s Never Was.
- If the idea of Peter Dinklage in a mullet makes you smile, you’ll love this. I’ve been a fan of Dinklage well before Game of Thrones. From The Station Agent to his role in Nip/Tuck, he’s amazing and he’s freaking fantastic in this. And Michelle Monaghan proves yet again she’s more than just a pretty face. She’s quite funny in most comedies and easily holds her own opposite Sandler, James, Dinklage and Gad.
- If you like reminiscing about your childhood and laughing and enjoying yourself at the movies, Pixels is for you. Sandler returns to his roots that made him popular and made his best movie in years. I had a lot of fun with it, a lot more than expected and I’m a fan.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Adam Sandler
- Kevin James
- Peter Dinklage
- Josh Gad
- Michelle Monaghan
Recommended if You Like:
- Wreck It Ralph
- 80s Nostalgia
- Classic Sandler!