Main Plot Points:
- Picking up the story three years after Mike bowed out of the stripper life at the top of his game, “Magic Mike XXL” finds the remaining Kings of Tampa likewise ready to throw in the towel. But they want to do it their way: burning down the house in one last blow-out performance in Myrtle Beach, and with legendary headliner Magic Mike sharing the spotlight with them.
- On the road to their final show, with whistle stops in Jacksonville and Savannah to renew old acquaintances and make new friends, Mike and the guys learn some new moves and shake off the past in surprising ways.
What We Thought:
- Remember when the first Magic Mike came about and you thought, “Well that looks terrible” and “Why do we need a movie about Channing Tatum stripping?” But then you saw it and well it wasn’t very good, but at least it tried to have a narrative and be an actual movie.
- Well all those expectations for the first one are finally true with Magic Mike XXL. The sequel takes what made the first film a hit (the dancing and men without shirts) and ran with it with pretty much nothing else.
- The original tried to tell the story about a stripper trying to make something of himself. Mike wanted his own business and that’s what he worked towards. Simple enough, but at least a narrative.
- This time around the entire story is, Mike isn’t happy with himself, the other guys are going on a roadtrip for one last show so time for him to join them on that roadtrip!
- They stop at different places on the way to Myrtle Beach and strip, I mean dance. They meet people on the way and dance. They get to Myrtle Beach and guess what they do? They dance!
- Obviously as a single, straight male, I’m not exactly the target audience for the film. The first one was a hit, I expect the sequel to do pretty well. I don’t see it being as big, but women and the gay community will go see it. The movie definitely panders to those two audiences and that’s fine, I have no issue in focusing your film to the people who will actually pay to see it.
- Magic Mike XXL lacks any of the positives the first one had. I didn’t like the first one, but at least it had good coloring, cinematography and direction. This looks and feels like a cash grab. Most summer movies are cash grabs in reality so I’m fine with it. I thought it was pretty terrible and pointless, but if it’s a hit, it’s because the target audience just wants to see shirtless men dancing.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Channing Tatum
- Matt Bomer
- Kevin Nash
- Joe Manganiello
- Adam Rodriguez
Recommended if You Like:
- Magic Mike
- Chocolate City
- Channing Tatum