Main Plot Points:
- Music lovers will be astonished at the influence The Wrecking Crew wielded over rock and pop music in the 1960s and early 1970s. These unsung instrumentalists were the de-facto backing band on hit records by The Beach Boys, Phil Spector, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Sonny & Cher, Elvis, The Monkees and many more.
- These dedicated musicians brought the flair and musicianship that made the American West Coast Sound a dominant cultural force around the world.
What We Thought:
- The Wrecking Crew is a really good Rock Doc. It really opens your eyes to how music got made before the era of the Singer/Songwriter.
- Because of my family, I grew up listening to 50s, 60s and 70s music so I knew most of the songs featured in the documentary. It’s amazing just how many of these famed studio musicians played the actual music in the songs.
- I recently watched Love & Mercy which tells the story of The Beach Boys making their iconic album Pet Sounds. Brian Wilson is in this film talking about making that album with these studio musicians so I really dug that.
- The overall focus of the film is the life of Tommy Tedesco because his son is the filmmaker. Tedesco should be a legendary musician yet most people don’t even know who he is. Name a band from back then and he played on their album. He had a fantastic career and even did a ton of TV theme songs we all know.
- The most amazing part to me is how a lot of the musicians didn’t even like the music they were playing. The one jazz drummer didn’t like early Rock & Roll, but loved the paycheck. Most of them that played on Sonny & Cher albums hated the music. Pretty fascinating.
- I also liked how Glen Campbell came out of this group of musicians and became a star himself. After years as a sessions player, he started singing and the rest is history.
- The past few years have had some really good music documentaries. If you’ve seen Muscle Shoals, 20 Feet from Stardom, Big Star or Sound City and liked those, you’ll love The Wrecking Crew. Highly recommended.
- Deleted Scenes
- Musician Jokes
- Theatrical Trailer
Notable Cast & Crew:
- The Monkees
- Brian Wilson
- Sonny & Cher
Recommended if You Like:
- 20 Feet from Stardom
- Muscle Shoals
- Sound City