Main Plot Points:
- Alex, Emily, and their son, RJ, have recently moved to Los Angeles’ Eastside from Seattle. Feeling lost in a new city, they are desperate to find their first new friends. After a chance meeting with Kurt at the neighborhood park, they gladly agree to join family pizza night at the home. But as it gets later and the kids go to bed, the family “playdate” becomes increasingly more revealing and bizarre as the couples begin to open up.
- Writer/director Patrick Brice’s second feature is a painfully funny take on thirty something sexual frustration and parenthood. Featuring memorable lead performances by Taylor Schilling, Adam Scott, Jason Schwartzman, and Judith Godrèche, each actor nimbly balances the script’s sudden emotional turns from surprising honesty to complete embarrassment. Produced by Gettin’ Rad and the Duplass Brothers, THE OVERNIGHT tells a complex story of universal inadequacies.
What We Thought:
- Even though I overall liked The Overnight, it was not the movie I was expecting. I saw some rave reviews and I don’t quite get all the praise.
- At first you’re thinking it’s something like While We’re Young. Sure that film is more about a couple finding their groove from a younger couple, but the concept is similar. This is about a couple (Adam Scott & Taylor Schilling) moving and befriending another couple (Jason Schwartzman & Judith Godreche).
- They have a nice dinner together, their kids play together and then, well it takes a turn. I don’t want to give away too much, but let’s just say we learn a lot about the characters especially physically.
- What I did like about this turn is that it’s not the normal reasons behind the situation. Nowadays everything is highly sexualized and is purely about the enjoyment of sex. From swinging to cuckolding, there’s a lifestyle for everyone today.
- But as the characters open up, it’s more than just that. It’s not a “Key Party” lifestyle thing, it’s about being honest with one’s self. You find out why one couple is looking for different things and whether or not the other couple are open to other ideas.
- The Overnight isn’t for everyone. It’s a Duplass production so it definitely goes along with the Mumblecore type filmmaking. It’s short and ends rather quickly after much build up. The actors are all fine, but it’s completely understandable if it’s not your type of thing. I liked it for the most part, but not sure if I’d watch it again.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Taylor Schilling
- Adam Scott
- Jason Schwartzman
- Judith Godreche
Recommended if You Like:
- Friends with Kids
- While We’re Young
- Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice