Main Plot Points:
- Susan Cooper (Melissa McCarthy) is an unassuming, deskbound CIA analyst, and the unsung hero behind the Agency’s most dangerous missions.
- But when her partner (Jude Law) falls off the grid and another top agent (Jason Statham) is compromised, she volunteers to go deep undercover to infiltrate the world of a deadly arms dealer, and prevent a global disaster.
What We Thought:
- Spy was a little better than I thought it would be. Something about the trailers just didn’t make it seem all that appealing, but I can admit I laughed more than expected.
- I like Melissa McCarthy personally. I’ve worked with her, she’s an absolute sweetheart. But I haven’t liked the past few comedies she’s put out. I didn’t think much of Identity Thief and Tammy was really bad. Although I thought she was fantastic in St. Vincent.
- I think that’s why I wasn’t all that pumped for this one, it looked like a lot of her other projects. I’ve seen her be a great actress in smaller films, but I’m tired of these types of “big” comedies where she’s always falling down and being loud and in your face.
- Sure she is quite physical in this and she falls down a bunch, but the supporting cast helps soften the blow I guess. I love Rose Byrne, no seriously I do and I’m super jealous of Bobby Cannavale because of it. Byrne flips sides this time around going from the polite, soft spoken, lady like character in Bridesmaids to a cursing, gun shooting, bad girl in this. I thought she was really funny and might be the best part of the film.
- You know who is also quite funny in this? Jason Statham. Yeah, that Jason Statham. He’s surprisingly funny opposite McCarthy in a lot of scenes. He continuously talks about not getting killed and all the things he’s survived. If it wasn’t for Byrne, Statham would steal the film.
- Of course I had some problems with the film. I thought Bridesmaids was laugh out loud funny and I keep expecting that from Paul Feig. The Heat has laughs, this has laughs, but I want more laughs than I keep getting. There’s a continuing joke about bats and mice in the basement that didn’t really seem to pan out (or I missed the punch line). You get a lot of jokes about McCarthy’s looks and weight and it just feels repetitive at times.
- Spy will probably do pretty well. McCarthy has a solid fandom at this point and it is funnier than expected. The audience seemed to love it and other people I talked to thought it was better than I did. Maybe my sense of humor has changed or something because a lot of these jokes don’t seem to work for me. I might chuckle, but just don’t seem to laugh out loud and clap like the audience does anymore.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Melissa McCarthy
- Jason Statham
- Jude Law
- Rose Byrne
Recommended if You Like:
- The Heat
- Melissa McCarthy