Main Plot Points:
- Movie star Vincent Chase (Adrian Grenier), together with his boys, Eric (Kevin Connolly), Turtle (Jerry Ferrara) and Johnny (Kevin Dillon), are back…and back in business with super agent-turned-studio head Ari Gold (Jeremy Piven).
- Some of their ambitions have changed, but the bond between them remains strong as they navigate the capricious and often cutthroat world of Hollywood.
What We Thought:
- Is the movie version of Entourage more than just an extended episode of the TV show? Not really, but as a fan of the show, I’m cool with that.
- The film jumps in where the show ends off for the most part. Ari isn’t an agent, but does studio work. Vinnie is partying after his marriage ends and is looking to get his next big film. Turtle is rich after his tequila deal. Eric is dealing with a pregnant Sloan and Drama is still looking for his next break.
- Vinnie takes on a movie and wants to direct it. Eric is producing with money from Ari’s studio and outside backers played by Billy Bob Thornton and Haley Joel Osment. Things don’t go according to plan, more money is needed, Vinnie doesn’t want Ari to see his movie and all the shenanigans you expect from the TV show.
- The standout though is Jeremy Piven. Ari Gold is a fantastic character and he takes him to another level here. Ari is the entire movie to me. I didn’t really care about Vinnie and the gang, just Ari. He has great scenes with his wife, with Lloyd, with Vinnie and his boys, opposite Haley Joel Osment. The movie is made because of Piven’s performance.
- Now obviously if you aren’t familiar with the show or don’t like the show, you probably won’t like the movie or know anything about the characters. As a fan, I liked the movie. Was it necessary to release it in theaters instead of just putting it on HBO? No, but hey if it works for them, great!
- I’ve heard people call the film sexist and misogynistic. I laughed. Of course it’s sexist and misogynistic, it’s a story about Hollywood. One person had never seen the show and complained the entire movie. Well don’t see the movie then.
- Entourage is a solid movie if you like the show. It has all the main recurring characters in it and has a variable who’s who of Hollywood and entertainment making cameos in it. Because Mark Wahlberg produced it, you see him in it along with many Boston pro athletes like Tom Brady, Julian Edelman and Rob Gronkowski. As a Boston sports fan, I liked that. You pretty much know if you want to see the movie or not at this point.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Adrian Grenier
- Kevin Connolly
- Jeremy Piven
- Kevin Dillon
- Jerry Ferrara
Recommended if You Like:
- Entourage (the TV show)
- Jeremy Piven