Main Plot Points:
- Shocking family secrets shatter a woman’s quiet country life in this psychosexual thriller. Young couple Kaia (Gitte Witt) and Andrew (Christopher Abbott) spend their days restoring her family’s sprawling rural estate. Their peace is upended one night when Kaia’s emotionally disturbed sister Christine (Stephanie Ellis) shows up unexpectedly, followed by her distraught boyfriend (Brady Corbet).
- As Christine’s behavior grows increasingly unhinged-including an unsettling incident of sleepwalking-long-buried traumas resurface. With a haunting score by Sondre Lerche, director Mona Fastvold keeps the tension mounting as this provocative nerve-jangler reaches fever pitch.
What We Thought:
- The Sleepwalker is pretty much a giant WTF film.
- I honestly have no idea what the point of this movie was. I get that the sisters are going through their family home and one has issues, but the rest I didn’t get.
- Why did it seem like the sisters were going to have sex together? Why was there so much nudity when the guys didn’t know each other? Not that I minded the nudity, the actresses are attractive, but what was the point?
- Why didn’t they go into the sister’s issues more? You can kind of fill in the blanks, but I could be 100% wrong.
- And don’t get me started on that ending. I don’t want to ruin the movie, but that ending? There isn’t one. It explains even less than the movie does.
- If there was a point to The Sleepwalker I missed it. It reminded me a lot of the Emily Browning movie Sleeping Beauty. Both are shot nicely, have attractive nude women, but overall I didn’t get what they were about.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Gitte Witt
- Stephanie Ellis
- Christopher Abbott
- Brady Corbet
Recommended if You Like:
- Sleeping Beauty (Emily Browning version)
- Kind of Pointless Movies