Main Plot Points:
- After the bizarre death of her brother, Johana Burwood must return home after four years to face her quirky family, including her estranged dad, her two competitive brothers and various significant others. The family is uncomfortable with each other at first, and their inner turmoil manifests itself in quarrels and outright fights.
- Johana is forced to face some secrets from her past when she runs into an old boyfriend who just can’t seem to let go. It’s only when tensions are at a breaking point that someone comes up with a brilliant idea that will send their departed brother off with incredible style.
What We Thought:
- I really wanted to like See You in Valhalla, but it just didn’t quite get to where I wanted it to go.
- I wanted more of a dark comedy, something like Let’s Kill Ward’s Wife or Just Before I Go. It has dark moments and dark storylines, but it’s more a dramatic comedy than dark comedy.
- There were definitely characters I liked in it. I thought Bret Harrison (who I’ve liked since Reaper) and his boyfriend played by Steve Howey were good together. I liked Michael Weston as the older brother as well. I kept trying to figure out how I knew him and he was Private Dancer in Scrubs.
- I think one of my issues with the film is Sarah Hyland. I’m just not sure about her yet. I’ve seen her be good in some things and other projects were kind of awful. It’s a character that makes sense for her at this point in her life/career, but I just don’t know about her yet.
- I’d be lying if I said there weren’t scenes that genuinely made me laugh. There were, but I wanted some deeper, dark issue or twist to come out. Plus I’m really into Norse mythology and history so seeing the brother as a Viking in a helmet with horns at the end bothered me. Splitting hairs I know, but hey it stood out to me.
- For a movie most of us have never heard of, See You in Valhalla isn’t too bad. It could have been a really good dark comedy, but just missed out. There’s a lot worse out there and it’s not a bad watch so I’d give it a chance if you have nothing else to watch or like any of the actors in it.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Sarah Hyland
- Bret Harrison
- Steve Howey
- Michael Weston
Recommended if You Like:
- This Is Where I Leave You
- Wish I Was Here
- Not Quite Dark Comedies