Main Plot Points:
- After the infamous San Andreas Fault finally gives, triggering a magnitude 9 earthquake in California, a search and rescue helicopter pilot (Dwayne Johnson) and his estranged wife make their way together from Los Angeles to San Francisco to save their only daughter.
- But their treacherous journey north is only the beginning. And when they think the worst may be over…it’s just getting started.
- The action thriller “San Andreas,” from New Line Cinema and Village Roadshow Pictures, reunites Dwayne Johnson with director Brad Peyton and producer Beau Flynn, following their collaboration on the global hit “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island.”
What We Thought:
- San Andreas is dumb fun. That’s not a negative at all actually.
- It’s one giant disaster film with helicopters, boats, planes, cars, The Rock’s huge arms, buildings crashing, the Earth splitting and Alexander Daddario’s eyes. I like all those things and if you like those too, you’ll like this.
- Is it pretty much 2012, The Day After Tomorrow and all those other, planet changing disaster films? Of course, but it doesn’t pretend not to be either.
- That’s why I liked it. It’s not pretending to be anything other than The Rock kicking ass, driving a boat up a tsunami, flying a helicopter and a plane and things getting destroyed. It’s a Summer Blockbuster Popcorn Flick through and through.
- I’ve seen people bring up 9/11 in reviews about the movie and I must have seen a different movie because the one I saw was about an earthquake. I didn’t see any terrorists or real life situations. I saw a CGI spectacle with thousands of fake people and buildings getting killed/destroyed. It’s a dumb movie, stop trying to put a message in it.
- I’ve heard people call it sexist and misogynistic. They talk about Daddario’s clothing getting smaller and more skin being shown. Again it’s a dumb movie with a beautiful woman in it. Plus Daddario keeps two male characters alive who you expect to be the heroes saving her. So I say to you, just shut up. If you need to find misogyny in everything, stop watching movies.
- San Andreas isn’t great. It doesn’t do anything different we haven’t seen before and I’m fine with that. Shut your brain off at the door. Grab the popcorn. Watch the Manbeast Dwayne Johnson save his family’s lives and watch stuff blow up. It’s entertainment, leave it at that.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Dwayne Johnson
- Carla Gugino
- Alexandra Daddario
- Paul Giamatti
Recommended if You Like:
- The Day After Tomorrow
- Disaster Films