Main Plot Points:
- Legendary filmmaker Sam Raimi (“Spiderman,” “Evil Dead”, “The Grudge”) and director Gil Kenan (“Monster House”) contemporize the classic tale about a family whose suburban home is haunted by evil forces.
- When the terrifying apparitions escalate their attacks and hold the youngest daughter captive, the family must come together to rescue her before she disappears forever.
What We Thought:
- The Poltergeist remake isn’t as terrible as I thought it would be, but it’s not exactly good either.
- I thought it was going to be horrifically awful like all the other new “horror” films of late, but it’s not quite as bad as those. I doubt I’d ever watch it again, but I’ve seen worse.
- One of the positives is that it has a good cast. I’ll watch anything with Sam Rockwell. He’s one of my favorite actors going. Rosemarie DeWitt is usually always good and Jared Harris is always solid.
- The beginning isn’t bad. It’s your standard “Family Moves into a New House” and Bad Things Start Happening” film, but it attempts to pull the audience in.
- Then it just becomes your latest Paranormal Activity rip-off. There’s no originality, no charm, no real scares like the original. It’ just weird noise, things moving, “paranormal experts” and all that other stuff.
- And on top of it, the ending felt super rushed. The opening builds up well, then bam, they are going in to save the daughter. Then ending and it’s over. There’s no interactions with neighbors. No good effects. Nothing to separate it from any other new age jump scare horror film of today.
- I expected to outright hate the new Poltergeist film. I didn’t hate it, but I can’t say I liked it either. It’s nowhere near the classic the original is and I’d much rather pop that into my DVD player than watch this again. The audience did their typical screaming and talking to the movie which makes things even worse when trying to watch these movies. Also, I saw it in 3D and there’s absolutely no need for this film to be in 3D.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Sam Rockwell
- Jared Harris
- Rosemarie Dewitt
Recommended if You Like:
- Paranormal Activity
- The Apparition
- Standard Jump Scare “Horror” Movies of Today