Main Plot Points:
- When two-fisted gunslinger Doc Holiday (Keach) rides into Tombstone, he’s ready and willing to help District Marshal Wyatt Earp (Harris Yulin) clean up the unruly town, just as they did in Dodge. But to Doc’s surprise, Earp has changed from a steely-eyed believer in law-and-order to a greedy opportunist who’ll do anything to be elected Tombstone’s sheriff. To ensure his victory, the unscrupulous Earp enlists Doc’s help in double-crossing the most vicious band of outlaws in the territory, the notorious Clanton Gang. It’s a dangerous scheme that leads to the infamous showdown at the O.K. Corral, where a bloody slaughter transforms villains into heroes…and heroes into American legends.
- A day you’ll never forget. – Robert Ryan (The Wild Bunch, The Dirty Dozen), Burl Ives (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Academy Award winner for The Big Country), and Tina Louise (Gilligan’s Island) star in Day of the Outlaw, a dark and unconventional Western drama from director Andre De Toth.
In the forsaken town of Bitters, Wyoming, tensions between homesteaders and cattlemen are high. When a conflict erupts between a farmer and ruthless rancher Blaise Starrett (Ryan), it appears that the icy relations in snow-covered Bitters are in danger of heating to a boil. But as a gang of outlaws under the leadership of Jack Bruhn (Ives) rides into town and begins to further threaten the town’s way of life, Starrett must find a way to save the town, its citizenry and his own soul. With stunning black and white cinematography and wintry landscapes, Day of the Outlaw is a stark, powerful addition to the collection of any discerning fan of Westerns.
What We Thought:
- Together we have two westerns for you. First is Doc starring Stacy Keach. Doc Holliday is one of my favorite historical figures and Keach plays a pretty terrific Holliday.
- Don’t get me wrong, Val Kilmer will always be Doc to me, but I really liked Keach’s version. You get much more story about Doc, how he met Kate and a different take on his time in Tombstone.
- Harris Yulin plays a pretty decent Wyatt, but Keach steals the film. Look for a young Faye Dunaway as Doc’s love interest, Kate.
- Next we have Day of the Outlaw starring Burl Ives, Robert Ryan and Tina Louise. It’s your classic western shot in black & white.
- There’s shootouts, long, epic scenery, good guys, bad guys and horses. I didn’t like it as much as Doc, but my parents will surely like it because they prefer the classic westerns.
- If you like westerns, Doc and Day of the Outlaw are both pretty solid. I preferred the Keach film, but I the Ives film will resonate more with the older crowd.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Stacy Keach
- Faye Dunaway
- Burl Ives
- Robert Ryan
Recommended if You Like:
- Doc Holliday