Main Plot Points:
- A troubled young man and his straight-laced niece embark on a thrilling odyssey through New York City in this heartrending drama based on an Oscar-winning short. As his life hits rock bottom, 20-something Richie (Shawn Christensen) decides to end it all-only to have his half-hearted suicide attempt interrupted by an urgent request from his sister (Emmy Rossum) to babysit her precocious daughter (Fatima Ptacek).
- So begins a madcap tour of Manhattan after dark, as uncle and niece find unexpected bonds in the unlikeliest of places. Ron Perlman co-stars in this hugely moving adaptation of up-and-coming director/star Christensen’s own 2013 Academy Award-winning short Curfew.
What We Thought:
- Before I Disappear is another WTF film.
- A guy is trying to kill himself, his sister asks him to watch his niece who he doesn’t really know. He takes her around NYC while they figure out where the mom is and there’s drugs and I don’t get it.
- I mean, I get what happens, but I didn’t really care about any of it. When you open with a character wanting to die, I don’t care if he learns there are things in life worth living for especially when the niece is so obnoxious and spoiled.
- Emmy Rossum is severely underused in this movie. As is Ron Perlman. The movie revolves around Richie and the niece, there was no reason Rossum or Perlman were in this.
- Were we supposed to get caught up in what was going on? Did we care where the mom was and if the girl would be able to study for her test? Did we care if he lived? I didn’t.
- Before I Disappear isn’t badly made or anything, I just didn’t see the point of it. I watched it, will forget everything about it and move on to the next film.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Emmy Rossum
- Paul Wesley
- Fatima Ptacek
- Shawn Christensen
- Ron Perlman
Recommended if You Like:
- Adventures in Babysitting
- Confusing Movies