Main Plot Points:
- From Oscar® nominated and Emmy award-winning filmmakers, RED ARMY is a feature documentary about the Soviet Union and the most successful dynasty in sports history: the Red Army hockey team. Told from the perspective of its captain Slava Fetisov, the story portrays his transformation from national hero to political enemy.
- From the USSR to Russia, the film examines how sport mirrors social and cultural movements and parallels the rise and fall of the Red Army team with the Soviet Union. RED ARMY is an inspiring story about the Cold War played out on the ice rink, and a man who stood up to a powerful system and paved the way for change for generations of Russians.
What We Thought:
- Red Army is an amazing hockey documentary, but also an amazing history documentary.
- I was highly looking forward to the film and it didn’t disappoint. I love hockey, grew up playing and grew up during the Miracle of Ice and the first Russian players coming to the NHL.
- So clearly I’m the target audience, but others who saw it with me who aren’t hockey fans or aren’t old enough to know any of the story also loved it. It’s incredibly well made and shows a perspective and point of view that we haven’t seen before.
- The history lessons in the film are incredible. Growing up, the Soviets were the enemy. They were monsters like you see fighting Rocky. This documentary humanizes them. It shows how terrible it was for them even the elite athletes.
- These guys lived separate from their families for 11 months out of the year. They lived hockey, that’s all they knew and all they were given. Even when fellow teammates died, they weren’t allowed to leave tournaments to go to funerals.
- Even when the Soviet Union started collapsing they still screwed over their hockey players. Slava Fetisov was supposed to play for the New Jersey Devils years before they finally let him. Their entire lives, their salaries, everything was controlled by politicians and military men.
- ESPN recently put out a special called Of Miracles and Men which is quite similar to Red Army. If you saw that, definitely seek this out. If you haven’t, see this anyways. It captures a time in history kids today don’t know about it and shows these men who Americans hated, deserved to be praised for being the best in the world.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Slava Fetisov
- Scotty Bowman
- Vladislav Tretiak
- Alexei Kasatonov
Recommended if You Like:
- ESPN’s 30 for 30: Of Miracles and Men
- Hockey and/or History Documentaries