Main Plot Points:
- THE GUNMAN, the new action thriller from Pierre Morel, the director of Taken, stars Sean Penn, Javier Bardem, Idris Elba, Ray Winstone and Mark Rylance.
What We Thought:
- The Gunman is major head scratcher. Somehow the director of Taken, District B13 and From Paris with Love made a boring film.
- There are some solid action scenes, but overall the film is slow and boring especially towards the beginning.
- It opens in the Congo and you think it’s going to be Sean Penn pitching the audience about what’s going on there. Penn co-wrote the film and you learn about the rebellion and fighting over natural resources and his character trying to bring clean water. He assassinates a guy and then he’s off to London.
- Then it becomes a Jason Bourne type thriller, but nowhere near as fun or bad ass. It has layers to it, people who think are the bad guys but aren’t and those who you think are good guys aren’t. But none of it really worked for me.
- I think the worst part is they totally underused Javier Bardem and Idris Elba. Both men can handle their own in action films, but neither get much to do or have much screen time.
- I’m thinking the film was supposed to be Sean Penn’s Taken. They expected him to become what Liam Neeson became after the success of that film. I’ll give it to Penn he got into ridiculous shape for the film and he wasn’t afraid to take his shirt off repeatedly to prove it. Unfortunately there isn’t enough action for him to overtake Neeson. But the action scenes he is involved with, he’s surprisingly solid. Maybe if the film was better I could see this as a new path to his career.
- The Gunman was disappointing. It starts out way too seriously and there’s nowhere as much fun as what Neeson is doing. Penn was decent in the scenes that were actually good, unfortunately the rest of the film isn’t so good.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Sean Penn
- Idris Elba
- Ray Winstone
- Javier Bardem
Recommended if You Like:
- From Paris with Love
- Killing Season