Main Plot Points:
- THE DIVERGENT SERIES: INSURGENT raises the stakes for Tris as she searches for allies and answers in the ruins of a futuristic Chicago. Tris (Woodley) and Four (James) are now fugitives on the run, hunted by Jeanine (Winslet), the leader of the power-hungry Erudite elite.
- Racing against time, they must find out what Tris’s family sacrificed their lives to protect, and why the Erudite leaders will do anything to stop them. Haunted by her past choices but desperate to protect the ones she loves, Tris, with Four at her side, faces one impossible challenge after another as they unlock the truth about the past and ultimately the future of their world.
What We Thought:
- Insurgent created a new rule in my life: If I’m on the fence about seeing a movie, especially a sequel to a film I didn’t like in the first place, I’m not watching that film.
- I didn’t like Divergent, not one bit. If you did, you might as well stop reading this review because we’ll disagree on everything. I’ve tried to block out a lot about that movie so I can’t really say which is worse, the first or its sequel Insurgent.
- As far as the sequel, well I found myself laughing AT it most of the time. I’m not a fan of YA films and think the genre is mostly garbage. This film just continues what I don’t like about them.
- I know I’m not the target audience for these films/books so what I think is irrelevant. But I still have an opinion about them. I just don’t get why they have to be so cheesy. There’s nothing wrong with a strong, kick-ass woman (see Underworld or the Alien franchise), but why must they pine over boys in these stories?
- That’s my biggest complaint about this film, you want a bad ass chick for girls to look up to, but guess what? She’s not that bad ass. Sure she fights and shoots guns, but she’s still obsessed with a guy who pretty much has to save her numerous times. Ripley, Selene, Lara Croft, Alice in Resident Evil, there was no doubt those women could get themselves out of danger. Princess Leia grabbed a blaster after the boys got her trapped. Tris has to be rescued even while trying to change the world.
- There’s a love making scene where Tris and Four start taking off their shirts and the audience went crazy. Maybe it’s because I’m not a teen girl or 20 something young woman, but seriously? Ugh. And there’s a scene where Tris has to cry and tell the truth that I literally burst out into laughter because it was painful to watch.
- Nothing I wrote matters because Insurgent will be the number one film at the box office and has a few more movies following. It’s nowhere near the box office juggernaut The Hunger Games or Twilight are, but it makes enough for them to keep going. You know whether or not you like these movies, use your own opinion.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Shailene Woodley
- Kate Winslet
- Theo James
- Miles Teller
- Ansel Elgort
Recommended if You Like:
- The Hunger Games
- YA Adaptations