Main Plot Points:
- When millionaire hedge fund manager James King (Will Ferrell) is nailed for fraud and bound for a stretch in San Quentin, the judge gives him 30 days to get his affairs in order. Desperate, he turns to Darnell Lewis (Kevin Hart) to prep him for a life behind bars. But despite James’ one-percenter assumptions, Darnell is a hard-working small business owner who has never received a parking ticket, let alone been to prison.
- Together, the two men do whatever it takes for James to “get hard” and, in the process, discover how wrong they were about a lot of things – including each other.
What We Thought:
- I feel bad for the people who laugh at Get Hard. I genuinely feel bad that they accept this as comedy. I love comedies, but this is just rehashed nonsense.
- Before you go and think I’m some pretentious snob, let me say this: overall, I love Will Ferrell movies. Talladega Nights, Anchorman, Step Brothers, The Other Guys, I own them all. I’m also a big fan of Kevin Hart’s stand up. His movies not so much, but I like his humor.
- So why doesn’t this movie work for me? Because it’s dumb. It’s outright dumb. I’m a white guy. I’m not rich. I didn’t go to Harvard. Okay, sure I have a college degree, but not Ivy League. Yet this movie makes every white person look like the worst person in the world. Sure, there are some terrible white people who are rich and treat people like garbage, but hearing it come from rich, white writers is laughable.
- The film is nothing but clichés and stereotypes. Sure they can be funny at times, but not here. Yes I understand by the end of the movie the characters learn something, but it doesn’t make the movie smart or entertaining. Hey, look at that old white guy dressing gangster, isn’t that funny? No, no it’s not. It wasn’t funny 20 years ago, never mind today.
- The worst part is, with the talent involved, the film should be smart and funny. Kevin Hart has been tackling social comedy for almost a decade now on stage. Let him do his own character and he’ll make it funny. His character’s scenes with his wife and daughter (who is adorable) are genuine and realistic. There should have been more of that. His realistic and genuine daily life opposite Ferrell’s expensive lifestyle could be funny, instead they pandered to a dumb audience who will laugh at stereotypes and clichés.
- I think I smirked a few times at the film, but don’t really remember laughing at all. I might have when Hart talks about Boyz N the Hood, but that’s about it. I certainly didn’t laugh at Ferrell’s butt or the random scenes of penis on screen.
- I didn’t expect much from Get Hard. I was hoping my low expectations would lead me to a surprisingly funny film, but nope, I think I got worse than expected. If you are dumb you’ll like it. If you’ve never seen a movie before, you’ll like it. The people laughing at it show me we’ve taken another step towards Idiocracy.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Will Ferrell
- Kevin Hart
- Alison Brie
- Craig T. Nelson
Recommended if You Like:
- Ride Along
- Let’s Be Cops
- Tired, Clichéd, Stereotypical Comedies