Main Plot Points:
- Oscar nominees James Franco (127 Hours) and Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty, The Help), and Golden Globe nominees Mila Kunis (Black Swan) and Zach Braff (Scrubs) star in this dramatic and riveting look at the life and work of iconic Pulitzer Prize-winning poet C.K. Williams. Williams (Franco) has a beautiful, adoring wife (Kunis) and a young son.
- But as he prepares for a reading in New York City and struggles to create new work, he is haunted by memories of his past – from his first sexual encounter to a later tragic loss. An ensemble of directors work with a star-studded cast to weave together a moving and unique story of a complex man and the relationships that defined him.
What We Thought:
- The Color of Time stars James Franco, Jessica Chastain, Mila Kunis, Zach Braff and Bruce Campbell. Yet you’ve never heard of it. I’ve never heard of it. Want to know why?
- Because it’s your typical weird James Franco movie of late. I’ve seen so many movies now with him that I can’t even tell you what half of them are about.
- This is the story of poet C.K. Williams who I also had never heard of. But it’s not your standard bio-pic. Nope there’s flashbacks (I think), multiple directors, an oral sex scene that seems like the entire reason for everything happened. Yup, weird Franco stuff as usual.
- And don‘t think it‘s watchable because of the cast. Sure Franco is the “lead” (although others play younger versions of Williams), but Kunis and Chastain have little screen time. They have more compared to Braff who’s in it for about ten minutes towards the end. Plus Bruce Campbell has a scene. I think he says maybe 4 lines and that’s it.
- Maybe if you know who the person this movie is about you might like the film. Even then I’m not exactly sure. It’s all over the place and not very straight forward.
- The Color of Time is the latest head scratcher from James Franco. I didn’t get it. I don’t know the guy it’s about. I won’t be watching it again.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- James Franco
- Jessica Chastain
- Zach Braff
- Mila Kunis
Recommended if You Like:
- Child of God
- As I Lay Dying
- Typical weird James Franco movies