Main Plot Points:
- Maggie (Melissa McCarthy), a single mother, moves into a new home in Brooklyn with her 12-year old son, Oliver (Jaeden Lieberher). Forced to work long hours, she has no choice but to leave Oliver in the care of their new neighbor, Vincent (Murray), a retired curmudgeon with a penchant for alcohol and gambling. An odd friendship soon blossoms between the improbable pair.
- Together with a pregnant stripper named Daka (Naomi Watts), Vincent brings Oliver along on all the stops that make up his daily routine — the race track, a strip club, and the local dive bar. Vincent helps Oliver grow to become a man, while Oliver begins to see in Vincent something that no one else is able to: a misunderstood man with a good heart.
What We Thought:
- St. Vincent is one of my sleeper picks of 2014. It also cracked my top 10 favorite movies.
- The main reason is obviously Bill Murray. Murray is fantastic, as usual, as a down on his luck gambler who starts taking care of his neighbor’s son. He has great scenes with every actor in the film especially the scenes with the young boy.
- The movie has heart and laughs and has great performances. Murray is great. Naomi Watts is great as is Melissa McCarthy and the actor playing her son.
- For those that think McCarthy can only play loud, physical characters, this movie will change your opinion. She’s reserved and shows she has acting chops.
- If you like Wes Anderson type films, this is a little lighter than his films, but you should like it. It has a similar vibe and tone and style to an Anderson film.
- St. Vincent was nominated for a Golden Globe along with Bill Murray and I can clearly see why. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sure it might not be for everyone, but if you like charming and sweet Hollywood type indie films with laughs, you’ll like it.
- Deleted Scenes
- Bill Murray is “St. Vincent”: The Patron Saint of Comedy
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Bill Murray
- Melissa McCarthy
- Naomi Watts
Recommended if You Like:
- The Royal Tenenbaums
- Lighter Wes Anderson Type Movies
- Bill Murray