Main Plot Points:
- Skating To New York is a contemporary coming-of-age adventure about five boys on a small-town Canadian high school hockey team, who live to skate. After losing a big game, they decide to do something never attempted before – skate across Lake Ontario to New York on the coldest day of the year.
- Starring Connor Jessup (Falling Skies), Gage Munroe (I Declare War), Dylan Everett (Degrassi: The Next Generation) and Jason Gedrick (Backdraft), Skating To New York~~ is a story about home and friendship, about leadership and facing danger, and about growing up – but never giving up.
What We Thought:
- Skating to New York is a bit of an odd film. It’s a family film and a coming of age film, but there’s some language on it that could surprise people.
- They use the word pussy a lot. Not in the female body part way, but more of the “Don’t be a bunch of pussies” way. Some people might not like that.
- It’s a Canadian film and the whole point is kids skating on their frozen lake to get to New York and escape their lives. It’s a simple enough concept.
- They all have different types of family issues they want to escape from. It wasn’t really my type of thing, but I won’t completely pan it because of that.
- The child actors aren’t bad. They aren’t given much beyond skating and playing hockey, but it could have been far worse.
- I think Skating to New York is based on a story or book and I think it most likely works better in that medium. It’s nothing all that original and it’s quite forgettable, but families can watch it together so I guess that’s something.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Connor Jessup
- Gage Munroe
Recommended if You Like:
- Stand By Me
- The Mighty Ducks
- Coming of Age films