Main Plot Points:
- When the heir of the Imperial throne becomes the target of an assassination his only hope for survival is a crusader named Jacob, who must overcome his demons and rally the assistance of a mythical outlaw known as The White Ghost.
What We Thought:
- Outcast is pretty horrifically bad, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t entertained.
- I had seen the trailer months back and knew this was right up my alley. It’s Nic Cage AND Hayden Christensen in an Asian period flick? What? Yeah exactly. That either makes you want to see it or it doesn’t.
- And this is Nic Cage at his Nic Cage-ist! I don’t know what accent he is doing, but he’s doing it. Plus he and Christensen play Templar Knights. I love Knights Templar mythology. This was just made for me.
- Although I have to give credit where credit is due, Hayden actually held his own in fight scenes. He won’t be able to fight Donnie Yen or be in The Raid 3, but his sword work was decent enough. I could see him in something like the Vikings TV show. I mean Kellan Lutz was in The Expendables 3.
- Don’t get me wrong, this movie is a joke. Most people will hate it, but if you are like me and can watch non-Hollywood blockbusters, movies that are so bad they are good, then this is a must watch. I paused the movie to laugh when Cage said he was the White Ghost. Just brilliant.
- If you take away Cage and Christensen, it’s a well made Asian period piece. Costuming is great. Set design and cinematography are great. There’s some cool action scenes and everything else you expect in Asian period drama.
- I’m grading Outcast on an entertainment level not necessarily as just a movie. It’s one of those movies I’d watch again with buddies, maybe have a few drinks or even make a drinking game out of it. Come on, you know your curious to see it.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Hayden Christensen
- Nicolas Cage
- Andy On
Recommended if You Like:
- The Salvation
- Dying of the Light
- Recent Nic Cage Movies