Main Plot Points:
- In this hilarious romantic comedy, Molly Mahoney (Aubrey Dollar) is flying home to Chicago for her mom’s wedding and tells her family she is bringing a “Mystery Man.” When she discovers her Mystery Man has a Mystery Wife, she dumps him curbside. In shock, she runs into childhood friend Josh Shiffman (Shane McRae) who is flying to the same event. Molly cries until she falls asleep.
- While she is passed out, Josh gets a call from his parents and finds out his father, Max (Daniel J. Travanti) is dying and his only regret is he will never meet the woman his son will marry. Desperate to fulfill his dad’s final wish, Josh says he has met that woman, close family friend Molly Mahoney!
- Josh convinces a reluctant Molly to play fiancée for a few days. As the lie grows, the two boisterous families begin to plan what is really a phony wedding and somewhere in the chaos Molly and Josh may actually be falling for each other.
What We Thought:
- One Small Hitch is a pretty cute, little romantic comedy.
- The film is your pretty standard rom-com. You have two people that don’t belong together yet get wrapped up in a situation (this time a lie because of a dying father) and you can probably see where it’s going if you’ve ever seen a movie before.
- But that being said, because the two leads are so charming, you don’t mind watching it (even being the single male that I am). You know their lie will come back to bite them in the butt and have things get thrown out of proportion, but you root for them and hope it pays off.
- I can’t say I was overly familiar with Aubrey Dollar or Shane McRae before the film, but I liked them especially Dollar. Plus they had believable chemistry in their classic “will they/won’t they” storyline.
- I thought Dollar was adorable in the film. Reminded me of Anna Faris from a few years back. She’s super cute and funny plus a bit dorky and you totally understand why Josh may or may not eventually fall for her.
- I had never heard of the film so for something I wasn’t familiar with, it was a pleasant surprise. A lot of these rom-coms are more rom than com and this one is too, but it’s not cheesy or too gooey to make you stop watching.
- One Small Hitch is cute, but nothing groundbreaking. The leads are cute. The story is cute. I don’t want to compare it to a Lifetime movie because it’s much more watchable than one of those, but if you are a fan of those types of films, you’ll definitely like this.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Aubrey Dollar
- Shane McRae
Recommended if You Like:
- The Five-Year Engagement
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding
- Wedding/Rom-Com Movies