Main Plot Points:
- Winner of the Best Director Award at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival, Middle Of Nowhere chronicles a young woman caught between two worlds and two men in the search for herself. Ruby, a bright medical student, sets aside her dreams when her husband is incarcerated.
- This new life challenges her to the very core, and her turbulent path propels her in new, often frightening directions of self-discovery.
What We Thought:
- Middle of Nowhere is a decent love triangle film with David Oyelowo.
- It’s not your typical triangle. Ruby’s husband is in jail and she tries to be good while he’s there. She finds out her husband isn’t doing everything he can to get home and she starts to wander.
- That’s when David Oyelowo comes in. He plays a bus driver and makes the movie so much better than it has any right being.
- He has really good chemistry with Emayatzy Corinealdi who plays Ruby. He doesn’t have any direct scenes with Omari Hardwick, but he’s such a better actor, he still acts circles around him.
- If you’ve seen Selma you should look into this. This is also stars Oyelowo and is from Ava DuVernay the director of Selma.
- David Oyelowo helps Middle of Nowhere from being a clichéd, generic, run of the mill love story.
- Commentary with Writer / Director Ava DuVernay and Actress Emayatzy Corinealdi
Notable Cast & Crew:
- David Oyelowo
- Omari Hardwick
- Ava DuVernay
- Emayatzy Corinealdi
Recommended if You Like:
- Things Never Said
- Saturday Night Life