Main Plot Points:
- Punk-rocker turned suburban mom, Kelly (Juliette Lewis, Natural Born Killers), is nostalgic for a life she can no longer have and uncertain of a future she doesn’t yet see herself in. Seventeen-year-old Cal (Jonny Weston, Chasing Mavericks) is frustrated at his lack of control over the hand he’s been dealt.
- When the two strike up an unlikely friendship, it’s the perfect spark needed to shock them both back to life. A Harold & Maude for the next generation and co-starring Cybill Shepherd and Josh Hopkins, Kelly & Cal is a charming look at life’s unexpected pairings.
What We Thought:
- Kelly & Cal is a nice little movie that I kind of felt like I had seen before.
- Something about the story felt really familiar. Maybe I had seen the trailer on other DVDs or something because I totally remember the scene of Lewis pushing the baby carriage and running into her neighbor in the wheelchair.
- Juliette Lewis might be playing herself in the film. She plays a new mom who moves to the suburbs and isn’t used to suburban life. She’s a former rocker who misses that part of her life.
- Of course she meets her neighbor and bonds with him. She’s getting the attention her husband isn’t giving her. But of course it’s not good.
- Problems arise, boundaries are pushed, signals are crossed. Sure it’s a story we’ve seen before (numerous times in fact), but Lewis is good and it’s all 100% believable.
- Kelly & Cal won’t wow anyone. It’s not some hidden gem, but it is a nice little movie for adults. It’s well made, well acted and is a decent character driven film.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Juliette Lewis
- Cybil Shepherd
- Josh Hopkins
Recommended if You Like:
- Men, Women & Children
- 9 Full Moons