Main Plot Points:
- When Lou (Corddry) finds himself in trouble, Nick (Robinson) and Jacob (Duke) fire up the hot tub time machine in an attempt to get back to the past. But they inadvertently land in the future.
- Now they have to alter the future in order to save the past… which is really the present, in the sequel from the same team that brought you the original cult hit.
What We Thought:
- Hot Tub Time Machine 2 has laughs but isn’t as good as the original.
- Three out of the four characters return with John Cusack replaced by Adam Scott who plays his son.
- The first film was so different that the sequel seems somewhat repetitive and lacks the charm of the first. The first was about friends reliving a moment and everything that came from it.
- This one takes place mostly in the future and it only has a little charm and character building. It seems to be raunchier than the first with a lot more f-bombs. Not that I mind those.
- Clark Duke plays a bigger role. He seemed more like a tagalong in the original, but here he is a major character that has some big laughs.
- The laughs the film gets consistently is from Craig Robinson and his songs. He rips off famous songs as his own because they didn’t exist in that timeline.
- Although the funniest scene is a game show in the future hosted by Christian Slater. It’s hysterical and cringe worthy.
- Hot Tub Time Machine 2 reminds me of The Hangover 2. You knew there was no way it could match the original film, but overall I still liked it. I’d watch it again because I did laugh, but it lacks the subtle wit and charm of the first.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Rob Corddry
- Craig Robinson
- Adam Scott
- Clark Duke
Recommended if You Like:
- Hot Tub Time Machine
- The Hangover franchise
- Raunchy comedies